ALABAMA!!

Yay! I have new chicks!
0515181654.jpg
0515181654b.jpg

We are in Clay County, and have been searching pretty hard to find someone with Khaki Campbell ducklings.

On the Livestock Conservancy web page, looks like there's a Campbell breeder in Bowdon, GA which appears to be maybe an hour from you. You might dig around on there as it seems there would be someone around Birmingham raising them.

https://livestockconservancy.org/

Hi I live in Pell City, Ala! Well really on the out skirts of Pell City in Cook Springs and just started raising chickens. I have 4 Golden Comets and 1 BB Red Bantam rooster. I know what your thinking "Why that little guy"? Well he was my first chicken. He was a rescue and I fell madly in love with chickens because of this guy, his name is Rutherford the Rooster. IMG_7020.JPG IMG_0746.jpeg IMG_0824.JPG And yes this is Rutherford sleeping in his towel. Ok I have named my hens but haven't gotten any pictures yet for we are in the process of converting an old shed into the Chicken Mansion. I do have a question, the coop is half of the shed and then the other half is a covered run then coming off the shed is a 4'x8' run open to sunlight, the question is what should I use on the PT plywood floor? I have painted for ease in cleaning, was thinking I would use a natural covering over the wooden floor such as dead leaves, pine straw, grass clippings, etc., how deep should this covering be?

Hi I live in Pell City, Ala! Well really on the out skirts of Pell City in Cook Springs and just started raising chickens. I have 4 Golden Comets and 1 BB Red Bantam rooster. I know what your thinking "Why that little guy"? Well he was my first chicken. He was a rescue and I fell madly in love with chickens because of this guy, his name is Rutherford the Rooster. View attachment 1391476View attachment 1391475View attachment 1391478And yes this is Rutherford sleeping in his towel. Ok I have named my hens but haven't gotten any pictures yet for we are in the process of converting an old shed into the Chicken Mansion. I do have a question, the coop is half of the shed and then the other half is a covered run then coming off the shed is a 4'x8' run open to sunlight, the question is what should I use on the PT plywood floor? I have painted for ease in cleaning, was thinking I would use a natural covering over the wooden floor such as dead leaves, pine straw, grass clippings, etc., how deep should this covering be?
Hi, I'm not too far from you , boaz. I can relate to your love for your little roo, I love them too. I have one also, his name is Joe Pesci because he's small with a lot of attitude. Rutherford is a great name. I watched a video recently where the woman overlayed her coop floor with a sheet of linoleum. Giving it an extra layer of protection from moisture and making it easier to clean. Whatever dry material you choose I would start out with 3 to 4 inches and see how long that last until you have to clean out. I use hay or pine shavings but I do the deep litter method because all of my coops are dirt floor. Then I compost.

Hi, I'm not too far from you , boaz. I can relate to your love for your little roo, I love them too. I have one also, his name is Joe Pesci because he's small with a lot of attitude. Rutherford is a great name. I watched a video recently where the woman overlayed her coop floor with a sheet of linoleum. Giving it an extra layer of protection from moisture and making it easier to clean. Whatever dry material you choose I would start out with 3 to 4 inches and see how long that last until you have to clean out. I use hay or pine shavings but I do the deep litter method because all of my coops are dirt floor. Then I know exactly where Boaz is, only
Hi, I'm not too far from you , boaz. I can relate to your love for your little roo, I love them too. I have one also, his name is Joe Pesci because he's small with a lot of attitude. Rutherford is a great name. I watched a video recently where the woman overlayed her coop floor with a sheet of linoleum. Giving it an extra layer of protection from moisture and making it easier to clean. Whatever dry material you choose I would start out with 3 to 4 inches and see how long that last until you have to clean out. I use hay or pine shavings but I do the deep litter method because all of my coops are dirt floor. Then I compost.
I know exactly where you are only about an hour from where I live. Thanks for your input, I wasn't too sure of how much to start with and since it is a large area and I have lots of leaves and pine straw on my property that I would try since the expense might be greater than the wallet contents lol and at 3 to 4" deep it needs to be free. I will post pictures when we get it done but as you know rain is in the forecast for the next week at least so may be slow going:barnie

Congratulations, @Cleburneslim! Those chicks are adorable. What breed(s)?

My 7.5 week old chicks have been living in the adult coop for 8 days now. The babies are still terrified of my RIR, although she doesn't go out of her way to chase them anymore. The SS mostly ignores them, and the Faverolles hangs out with them almost as much as she does her original flock. I've been going out every night at dark and putting them up on a separate roost so they don't pile up on the floor. Tonight when I went out to get them, they had put themselves to bed on the main roost! They were cuddled up next to my Faverolles. Have I mentioned what an absolute doll she is? She wasn't happy about them trying to get under her on the roost, but she was content to stay next to them. She's such a gem!

I'm picking up a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster a week from Saturday. I can't wait to get him here! Hopefully his integration will also go smoothly.

the question is what should I use on the PT plywood floor? I have painted for ease in cleaning, was thinking I would use a natural covering over the wooden floor such as dead leaves, pine straw, grass clippings, etc., how deep should this covering be?

I just start out with a couple inches to cover the floor and go from there. I used to use the bagged pine shavings from TSC, but that was getting expensive. A friend suggested pine straw, so I changed to that and it's done fine. I rake it up when it's dry and stuff it down in those thick contractor grade clean up plastic bags. I punch holes in the bags for ventilation and to further dry out the pine straw. I just keep a few bags stored all the time.

Hi. I'm new to this. I rescued a duckling. He's (not really sure it's a boy, but that's wheat I refer to him as) almost 4mo now (I'm guessing) and he's a crested pekin. He is disabled and blind in one eye. He has his own wheelchair, one I made, anyway. I need to find him a forever home. I corrected his tortocollis (bent neck) but he still doesn't walk. He's a sweet baby. I did my job, i nursed him back to health... but my new job uggs very demanding, and soon, I will have no one to watch him. He needs help to eat (just holding his dishes) and he needs to be changed regularly (he doesn't walk, so I habe him on doggy pee pads). He will come with whatever I have squirted for him, I just want to see him go to a loving family/home. He loves to coddle! Loves white grapes! And, he loves red minnows! If you're interested in having him join your family, please reply as soon as possible.
20180507_095808.jpg
15269666053981790477331.jpg
20180508_100456.jpg

Back
Top Bottom