All flock feed

Funnyfarm1995

Hatching
Oct 5, 2024
Hey guys! I’ve got 6 males and 23 fe
females that live separately. Both ducks and chickens. I know ducks need a niacin supplement and my birds are provided with that, but we feed our boys kalmbach all flock 16% organic and I just want to know what the thoughts are on doing a 16% all flock for everyone and supplementing with additional protein and feeding them their eggshells. They do get their own shells back three times per week at their leisure. Just wanting to know if there is something within the kalmbach organic 17% layer feed that would also need to be supplemented outside of additional meal worm and free ranging protein outside of their feed nutrition wise. We’ve got a well producting flock and happy birds across the board, but the all flock is financially a better option. Thank you!

Agreed. You don't know how much protein the mealworms are providing and can't control it because some birds will get more and some less.

Also, I personally feel that oyster shell is a better option for calcium than egg shells because the more you recycle their own shells through their bodies, the less calcium those shells are going to have. I can't cite a scientific study to prove it, it just makes sense to me. It won't hurt to dry, crush and add the shells as a supplement to the oyster shells if you like though. Just my own opinion. Oyster shell is plenty cheap. Offer it in a separate vessel; non-layers will avoid it.

See if you can find a slightly higher protein all flock feed. My feed store has 18-20%, which I've liked for my mixed chicken flock. I supplement with crushed oyster shell and home-grown mealworms and other high-protein household food waste snacks.

Back
Top Bottom