aluminum foil roof?

mixedflockmomma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
I an thinking about redoing my coops roof this winter. I had a thought on it and was wondering if anyone else has tried it or has any thoughts on it. I coop currently has smoke colored, see-through, corrugated plastic pannals for a roof. As you could imagine it gets pretty hot in there during our central Florida summers. My thought was to remove the plastic panels, lay outdoor plywood down, glue heavy duty aluminum foil to the plywood, then paint it with white metal roof thermo cool sealent. I would overlap the aluminium foil sheets along the top and bottom.

It would be pointless
Just paint the panels with Kool Seal and maybe put some insulation on the inside of the roof

th

It would be pointless
Just paint the panels with Kool Seal and maybe put some insulation on the inside of the roof

th

Be sure to check whether that stuff will adhere to those panels before spending money of stuff like that. I would primer anything first to give it something toothy to hold onto before applying paint or coatings. Just check manufacturers suggestions first.

They sell a paint for greenhouses to be used on clear panels to block out sun that breaks down over the season and is easily removed for winter months. I would do a bit of research on some green house websites before I went though all that trouble if I were you. Check it out: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/shade-paint

IMO, even if you painted the foil white, it will still absorb the heat from the sun. If its of great concern consider moving to coop to a shaded area or maybe plant a tall treeor maybe a vining plant to provide shade.

Last edited:
You could also remove the panels, put down a layer of foam insulation, and then put the panels back in place.

That will serve the same purpose and cost less too
You can even get sheets faced with foil:
th

Last edited:
Are they in the coop 24/7? Is the coop in full sun? How is the ventilation? In Florida I would consider a 3 sided coop or one similar to mine with the top foot or so open and screened. If it is a fully enclosed coop with just a small amount of ventilation, it will still be a hot box with even with foam/plywood etc.

Back
Top Bottom