Am I making a mistake?? What is happening?

I'm one of those heartless brutes too. My chicks go straight to the brooder in the coop from the incubator or post office. As long as they have a spot warm enough they do fine, even if there is ice in a far corner of that 3' x 6' brooder.

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit. They had been acclimated by being in that big brooder and playing in the colder spots, then going back to the warm spot when they needed to warm up. They were protected from breezes hitting them but those temperatures in calm air were no problem. I'd expect your chicks to be able to handle 45/50 Fahrenheit with no problems but exposing them to cold temperatures if you can won't hurt. One big advantage may be that you can see for yourself that it isn't a problem, that could help your confidence.

Chickens often do not like change but can be quite adaptable. Going from always light to pitch dark is a change. If I do something like that they might fuss for 15 minutes or so, then go to sleep. The next time they might fuss for 5 minutes. After that they go to sleep. It is no longer strange. Or you can try gradual methods. In any case they will adjust.

I want mine to stay out of my house for a few reasons. I want to stay married. My wife would not appreciate the noise, possible smell, and the dust and dander from trying to raise them in the house. She is a city girl with a sensitive nose but I think she has a point. Also, I want my chicks exposed to the rest of the flock as early as possible. I want them to get to work on flock immunities as soon as possible while they are in the brooder and easy to observe. Plus, with them growing up with the flock they are usually a breeze to integrate. If you don't already have chickens out there you may lose some of these benefits but I've always brooded outside.
This is my first flock, can 4 be a flock?? Maybe it’s more a group.
It’s weird, I’ve wanted chickens for years, now that we have enough land my husband agreed to the whole chicken thing. Before I got my chicks, my idea was- get chicks, keep chicks alive, put chicks in coop, keep them healthy, chickens lay eggs- 5 weeks later here I am wondering if it’s too windy, do they have enough vegetation in their diet, playing music for them, washing their feet if they step in poop. Something has went terribly wrong in my thinking and I’m not sure why. I understand they are chickens! But my mind says oh they’re just itty bitty babies…sigh is it because it’s my first time? Or do I need therapy??

Don't worry, the sweet little baby phase will pass and you will be over the lullabies. It's not possible to keep their feet clean. Wait til their first rain and mud and you will be over that too. You will even learn to sleep through the night when it's storms and they are OUTSIDE. In their coop.
Make sure coop is safe, secure, well ventilated and easy to clean and you will get so much enjoyment from your flock.
Not all the worry goes away if they are your pets. But youll start to get more relaxed over time and realize they are very forgiving of first time chicken Moms. We don't always have to be perfect.

Don't worry, the sweet little baby phase will pass and you will be over the lullabies. It's not possible to keep their feet clean. Wait til their first rain and mud and you will be over that too. You will even learn to sleep through the night when it's storms and they are OUTSIDE. In their coop.
Make sure coop is safe, secure, well ventilated and easy to clean and you will get so much enjoyment from your flock.
Not all the worry goes away if they are your pets. But youll start to get more relaxed over time and realize they are very forgiving of first time chicken Moms. We don't always have to be perfect.
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I didn’t want chicken pets. Of course I read all the things keeping them safe and healthy, but I just wanted fresh eggs. Now if you excuse me I have to go feed my chicken babies green beans while I sing Queen songs for them..don’t want them getting depressed. :)

There is a learning curve involved but they will become therapy for you. Just because they don't need a lot of stuff you want to do for them doesn't mean it hurts them. The real benefit may be that it makes you feel better than any way that it actually helps them.
Thank you for not making me feel like a crazy person. I’m so glad I found this awesome chicken community, I’ll need help keeping myself between the ditches from time to time. If I ever make a post about crocheting them little hats-please STOP me!

This is my first flock, can 4 be a flock?? Maybe it’s more a group.
It’s weird, I’ve wanted chickens for years, now that we have enough land my husband agreed to the whole chicken thing. Before I got my chicks, my idea was- get chicks, keep chicks alive, put chicks in coop, keep them healthy, chickens lay eggs- 5 weeks later here I am wondering if it’s too windy, do they have enough vegetation in their diet, playing music for them, washing their feet if they step in poop. Something has went terribly wrong in my thinking and I’m not sure why. I understand they are chickens! But my mind says oh they’re just itty bitty babies…sigh is it because it’s my first time? Or do I need therapy??
It's because everything about them screams I'm delicate, I'm fragile, I'm helpless... but after the first batch you realize that's not quite the truth. Yes they're fragile but they're also tougher than they look, and their natural instincts do a good job of getting them to look for food, water, warmth and safety.

I'm on my 4th batch of chicks right now. I admit it's still terrifying to put them in the outdoor brooder for the first night, wondering if they'll stay warm enough, or releasing the babies for their first outing with the adults, wondering if they'll get attacked, but I keep reminding myself I've done this before, and I've never lost chicks in the outdoor set up, so I just have to push past my doubts and do what I know to do.

Hi! I’ve got 4, 5 week old RSLs. They’ve been and still are in my LIVING ROOM. They’ve been in a brooder, and I took the heat lamp out a couple days ago. They’re about 75% feathered. And it’s 76 degrees in here. For the past 2 nights when I turn the out the light (we still have a dim lamp on) these gals go bonkers. Chirping and cheeping and one apparently plays the kazoo. They’ve got food, water, not huddled together like they’re cold. I have to play lullaby’s to get them to settle down and go to sleep. The kazoo player is the last to get quiet but eventually she goes to sleep. Why are they doing this? And what should I do? Once they’re outside in the coop am I going to have to play the radio all night??
Plays the kazoo!!! Bawahahahah! :>

Back
Top Bottom