Am I The Problem? Rooster Talk

This suggests that although born and bred in the flock, there is no older male present to educate him, and he has no option but to try to learn how to be a dominant roo by trial and error. Is this the case?
This is true, I do not have an older roo at the time.

I have raised 3 wonderful roosters. One passed at 8 years, one passed at 2 years and one is 4 years old but lives in my dad's coop.

I have been trying to replace my wonderful rooster in my coop for 2 years. All from hatchling and every single one has turned into a giant jerk. I understand that this can happen and does often. My current roo is about 6 months old, in the throws of hormones, but is literally flogging my older hens. He is okay with my hens under 4 years old. But not any older than that.

Is this genetics? Is this my raising style? Is this just me needing to give time for hormones to chill out? Or is this just me needing to find an older roo?

I did try an older roo about a year back (2 years) he was okay, but not the greatest with the girls.

More info in case it is needed. I have 1 rooster to 24 hens. They are in a run, but have enough space and various enrichment. I am out there daily with them. Most of the roos I have tries have been some sort of offspring/relation to my wonderful roo I lost 2 years ago, hence the genetics question.
I am fairly new to raising roosters I've only had two. Chuck and now Charlie. Both Rhode Island Reds. Chuck died. I have no idea why, my best guess was he got food stuck, but he gave me Charlie. I raised Charlie from an egg and spent a lot of time with him as a teenager. I pick him straight up when I walk out to him. If I don't he knows it. He is wonderful, but I know he had a lot of potential to be a jerk.

Attachments

• 20240523_195001.jpg
    20240523_195001.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom