AmeraucanaChicken

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2023
One of my Ameraucana chicks which I got through the mail on Friday is being very dopey. I have already had one dopey chick die, but what's different about this one is that it has food in its crop and will drink water when I dip its beak in. It's just extremely weak. I'm also not quite able to tell whether or not its neck is slightly crooked, possibly wry neck, or if its crop is impacted. (They are on wood shavings which it might have eaten, but I've never had a chick get an impacted crop.)

If possible, I will consider giving it treatments for wry neck, though I do not have the ability to separate him.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem would be extremely appreciated.

After a little bit a research, I will try giving him some crushed sunflower seeds and egg yolk to increase his vitamin E in case that it is wryneck.

However, any other suggestions on what to do for him would be highly appreciated.:jumpy

Poultry cell has b vitamins and selenium and can be given directly, added to water, and I’ve added it to the food before as a mash( because they always spilled the water so I felt like I was wasting it)
In a pinch sugar water can perk them up quickly too, but that won’t fix the underlying problem.

Poultry cell has b vitamins and selenium and can be given directly, added to water, and I’ve added it to the food before as a mash( because they always spilled the water so I felt like I was wasting it)
In a pinch sugar water can perk them up quickly too, but that won’t fix the underlying problem.
I will probably order some to keep on hand for this guy and if it ever happens again. However, since I don't have any at the moment, I think I will have to try feeding him egg yolk. I've given them some honey water, and I may try it again. Thank you!

I would prefer sugar or molasses water for chicks only because I’ve heard honey can cause botulism
Ah, okay. I appreciate the information. I may get some molasses to keep on hand for future chicks, then. Unfortunately, though, the last update on this chick's case is that I found him dead not too long after giving him egg yolk (though I'm not sure if he managed to swallow any). This morning he was able to lift his head a little bit to feebly drink, but as the day passed he was losing that strength. I really appreciate the help, though, and should be able to apply it to such cases in the future.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom