ameraucana CONS?

Seeley

In the Brooder
May 19, 2024
I watched a youtube video
all about ameraucanas and she says all these bad things about the breed that makes me think maybe I made a mistake in choosing them! She said they hate being confined (our run is probably 100 sq ft?) and that they don't lay. (Or she has had problems trying to get them to lay)... We can't free range, and we were obviously hoping for eggs. We just got 6 ameraucana chicks. (although - they're just from IFA so they are probably really EE, some of them have green legs). So maybe since the ones I got aren't pure ameraucanas, I'll be ok? Or am I screwed lol? Please tell me she is wrong haha! What has your experience been with this breed? She also said she had rhode island reds and that they didn't lay well. I had read that those are great layers. We got one of them to try to get a few more eggs since I know the EE don't lay a ton per year. So what the heck?

Last edited:
I watched a youtube video
all about ameraucanas and she says all these bad things about the breed that makes me think maybe I made a mistake in choosing them! She said they hate being confined (our run is probably 100 sq ft?) and that they don't lay. (Or she has had problems trying to get them to lay)... We can't free range, and we were obviously hoping for eggs. We just got 6 ameraucana chicks. (although - they're just from IFA so they are probably really EE, some of them have green legs). So maybe since the ones I got aren't pure ameraucanas, I'll be ok? Or am I screwed lol? Please tell me she is wrong haha! What has your experience been with this breed? She also said she had rhode island reds and that they didn't lay well. I had read that those are great layers. We got one of them to try to get a few more eggs since I know the EE don't lay a ton per year. So what the heck?
I've been avoiding this video like the plague. It keeps popping up in my YouTube feed & everytime I see it it just felt off to me, so I never watched it, BUT I almost did yesterday just to see if it would stop suggesting it lol. So glad I didn't now. Anyways...we have 2 Ameraucana flocks right now. Our 1st flock is 22 weeks old, just started laying eggs last week, and between the 2 hens that did, we received 9 eggs...pretty impressive for their first week! This flock has been amazing, they are quirky, inquisitive, amusing & very friendly. One of our hens jumps on my shoulder everyday to chill with me for a few minutes...and one (sigh, yes, one) of the roosters will jump up on my shoulder too, but not too often anymore that they're big boys now. We absolutely love this flock sooo much. Our second flock, 7 weeks old, very friendly. We are definitely hooked on our Ameraucanas...they're the best. Hope this helps!!

It's just drama to get views.

The only actual bad thing about (real) Ameraucana is the awkward name, the common confusion over what is or isn't an Ameraucana, and people picking on them because they want every breed to lay at 4 months.

Most of mine have laid around 6 months old. Once they start, some are every day layers, some 4-5 eggs per week.
I have a 4, almost 5 year old Am who still lays 2-3 eggs per week, albeit with a late start in spring.

The most common personality is a combo of curious, aware, and friendly. I put mine with Orpingtons, and while the O's are the most mild mannered, the Ams don't pick on them.

The Ams are more active, and sure, they would not be happy in small spaces. Most chicken breeds wouldn't be. It's poor keeping practice to undersize habitats and just expect the animals to deal with it.

I never had true Ameraucanas, just EEs, but mine laid perfectly fine. I did have one of them take a very long break during and after molting but besides that everyone laid incredibly. First to lay, laid through winter, laid huge eggs, laid daily or near daily, etc. So I wouldn’t worry.

I've had 2 easter eggers that were labeled as ameraucanas. Sage unfortunately passed before she started laying but while Thyme was slow to start laying, she was a really good layer, She laid like 5-6 days out of the week. Thyme was also quirky and friendly yet she was assertive enough to become head hen. Sage was skittish but was friendly in her own way and was also assertive enough to be the second highest bird in the pecking order yet like Thyme was never mean to the others. They were also quite watchful. I also rarely free range and didn't have any issues so I wouldn't worry
I doubt yours are purebred if you got them from a feed store, but even if they were purebred I again wouldn't worry, sure they won't lay quite as much as something like a leghorn, but you should still get plenty of eggs even if they're slower to start

Back
Top Bottom