Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

OK this is my new Ameraucana pullet that laid her 1st egg several days ago, the 2nd one 2 days after that width: 350px; height: 263px"> [/URL]
Love the color of your eggs. Mine have been regular layers, like your schedule, and one lays a beautiful blue green and the other lays a very light blue egg. Still do not know which hen lays the light blue. I am hoping for some eggs the color of yours.
I wish you luck :)

To: jajeanpierre: Angie-fowlrus- in Schertz. I know she goes to some of the shows with several of her breeds. I got an EE from her last year that lays an olive colored egg-not now-molting
sad.png

I was just wondering because I know there is someone close to you who has some nice birds from Paul Smith. I just wondered the lineage of your pullet.

I have purebred, but my pullets just started to lay; I'll have chicks and started birds available next spring. My black cockerel was reserve Any Other Standard Bred and my blue was Reserve Show Champion at the AZ State Fair last month. I will be taking them and a couple of pullets to the show in Tucson in a couple weeks. Also Pam & Cody Padilla, who I got hatching eggs from will also be there.

I'm up north in prescott valley so don't get down to Tucson. Will see in the spring how my girls are doing. Thanks

Here's a question for you: I thought you got Olive Eggers from breeding a blue layer to a dark brown layer (like Marans), but then I've seen mention of F1, F2. Does that mean you can take the cockerels and pullets that come from an F1 cross and breed olive eggers from there? Do they breed true as far as egg color is concerned? Or are they unpredictable?

It seems the hardest thing about making sure you get olive eggs from a hen is to make sure that if you are using Ameraucanas that they are actual Ameraucana and not EEs...is that correct?

You don't have to have dark brown eggs to make olive eggers, light brown layers will do just fine.

EE are fine to use to make olive eggers, some ameraucana varieties and lines have light blues, so EEs are sometimes better, depending on their quality of blue.

And they won't always breed true to color after F1 , you can make the effort to make it happen if you get in it deep enough.

You don't have to have dark brown eggs to make olive eggers, light brown layers will do just fine.

EE are fine to use to make olive eggers, some ameraucana varieties and lines have light blues, so EEs are sometimes better, depending on their quality of blue.

And they won't always breed true to color after F1 , you can make the effort to make it happen if you get in it deep enough.
Thanks!

Well the ohio nationals was great. This was my first year going and I really enjoyed it. I have never seen so many AMs at one show. I will have to post some pics sometime. One of my blue AMs layed her first egg there too, of all places.

Back
Top Bottom