American serama thread!

I want to warn you that they love to take dust baths, so if you use shavings, and probably anything else, they will scratch and fluff and make a dusty mess!  If you can, have high sides containing the mess from their floor.  I would do as high as possible, like more than 1'.   If I were to build one, and I'm thinking about it, LOL, I would make it tall with lots of perches to fly to, walk-in-able can be thin and long with only one side caged, the others solid.  Or else still at least 2 1/2 feet tall and off the ground waist high with a large door for easy access.

But frankly, I plan on making mine somewhat like that, only it will be on the patio.  My chicks have made so much dust, I really don't want any in the house anymore, LOL.  But on the patio, I can give them warmth, etc.. whatever they need

I have a Florida room but I'm afraid my neighbors would complain about any crowing. Also it gets pretty hot in there in the summertime.

Thanks for the advice guys. Im sure theres a hatchery near by that I can find some hatchlings just worried about shipping them and the cost.Does anyone know some trustable hatcheries that have a variety of colors.Some of you might even sell some.I cant get any right now because of this horrible weather and I havent built my new coop.

You won't find Serama from a hatchery. Your best bet is to check the American Serama Assoc or SCNA breeders list (like OC Seramas said), find someone in your area, and contact them. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, ask for pet quality.

I'M A SERAMA LOVER BIG TIME.THE NEIGHBORS GOT ONE TO GO ALONG WITH THE GOLDEN SEBRIGHT I GAVE THEM AND SHES THE PRETTIEST THING.I ABSOLUTELY WANT SOME.I'VE GOT A PROBLEM THOUGH I CANT FIND ANY AND DONT KNOW WHAT COLORATIONS THERE ARE.THE NEIGHBORS GOT HER FROM A FLEE MARKET SOMEWHERE IN EAST TN.SHE WAS GREAT SHE LAYED LITTLE EGGS,SAT ON NEST ALLL THE TIME.AS LITTLE AS SHE WAS SHE EVEN HATCHED A BIG BROOD.SADLY,SOME PREDATOR GOT HER.

SO, SERAMA LOVERS I NEED SOME GOOOD ADVICE AS TO WHERE TO GET THEM AND DIFFERENT COLORS.

THANKS
D.gif
Hello E.TN, we are neighbors. I live just south of Knoxville. I will pm you with some info and we can share some info maybe. Welcome aboard!

Kukupecpec get ready to drool some more then. We had triplets born early morning and I got some great pictures. This is a little boy with mother Tumblelina.

Little doe.

Little red bucky boy.

The family.

They are just too cute! I just want to love them and hug them and name them all George, lol.
OK, BHep, if you're out there, maybe you can resolve this question??? I think my frizzle also has silky feathers! Is that possible? They're not like what other frizzles seem to look like! I love these two little ones, they're so cute together and adorable!

You'll probably need to click on the picture to enlarge in order to really see the feather structure. Thanks, I'd surely like to know! See that blushing in the back of his comb? Yah, I think he's a cockerel
love.gif
The other one's comb is a lot smaller and no color. It's amazing that the comb is changing already, and it changes every day!! 2 weeks, 3 days
wee.gif
What a cutie! His feathers look like the frizzled silkies I hatched last year.
Thanks for the welcome. I went looking at cages today. Do they fly a lot? I keep thinking they would need more floor space than height. I found a small animal crate that is 46.9" x 22.8 x 24". That's about 7.4 square feet. Would that be big enough?

Now I'll go check cat cages.
smile.png

I did find some really nice containers for my mealworm farm while at the pet store. I like them better than what I'm currently using so they will be moving to new quarters.
2 sq feet per bantam is what I've read, so you could probably keep a trio in there, although they'd need out of cage playtime too I think.

OK, BHep, if you're out there, maybe you can resolve this question??? I think my frizzle also has silky feathers! Is that possible? They're not like what other frizzles seem to look like! I love these two little ones, they're so cute together and adorable!

You'll probably need to click on the picture to enlarge in order to really see the feather structure. Thanks, I'd surely like to know! See that blushing in the back of his comb? Yah, I think he's a cockerel
love.gif
The other one's comb is a lot smaller and no color. It's amazing that the comb is changing already, and it changes every day!! 2 weeks, 3 days
wee.gif

OH PUHHLEASE! Tell me you're that lucky!!!! A Silkied Frizzle, and Oh yeah, that's a roo.

AWW SHUCKS, thank you for the nice thoughts gardeningmamma......I have been busy lately with making cages outta cardboard boxes cuz it is so FRICKING cold outside and alot of the birdies [like 10] have to come in the house at night..KRAZY!!! And someone gave me a nasty cold! chickenpoop! is all I can say about that. LOL

Oh, don't I know it about the house turning into a coop. It's soo cold here at night, in the 20's most nights. DH built me 2 mini coops in the basement, and of course I have the 7 teenagers in the brooder upstairs. I have 1 pair in a rabbit hutch with a heatlamp outside, and the rest in their coop with a heatlamp. So far so good, but I'm always checking on those bulbs.
th.gif
Come on Spring!
Oh Yeah, hope you feel better!

Where did you get your Seramas from? did you hatch them? Where will you keep them once they are out of the brooder? You are close to me. I used to go to Brooksville weekly for herding lessons with my Aussies.
I hatched them from eggs I got from members here on BYC. They are very hard to hatch. Out of the 42 eggs I set, only 6 hatched and that was from 3 different people's eggs. I am planning on keeping them all. I was lucky to get 5 girls and 1 boy. If and when they start laying in a few months I could hatch some out for you if you would like. There is also a show coming up in February in Inverness. Someone there may have some available. As for their crowing, my little guy sounds like a squeek compared to my LF Roos. Your neighbors would probably think you have some kind of parrot.

Back
Top Bottom