Amprolium in Starter Feed

minus10gmt

Songster
Oct 4, 2019
Big Island, Hawaii
Based on availability of various feeds I can get in my area, I've purchased a bag of this Nutrena Pheasant/Turkey Starter. It has 0.0175% amprolium and I've been hearing all kinds of conflicting information on feeding it to quail. Here are a few of the things I've heard/read:
  • Amprolium fed to quail will render males infertile in doses meant for pheasants and turkey
  • Amprolium will cause liver and kidney damage in quail
  • Amprolium is not FDA approved for use in quail
I'd really like to find out how bad this actually is, because I don't have starter available that doesn't have amprolium. It doesn't have any antibiotics, which I'm more in opposition to than a thiamine blocker which seems to be pretty harmless. But, harmless to me and harmless to a little ITTY BITTY quail are two entirely different things!

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpeg
    IMG_1355.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 67
I cannot find much in the way of literature. But from what I am seeing, amprolium doesn't seem to work against coccidiosis in quail. There are, apparently, different types, and the types that quail get aren't susceptible to amprolium. So that's part of the reason why the FDA doesn't approve it—it doesn't do anything.

According to this thread (and they didn't link the articles) amprolium overloads the liver in quails, and makes the pituary gland develop slowly. You probably know that the pituary gland controls most of the hormone-releasing glands, so that could mess up bird maturation long-term. And it apparently only causes temporary sterility in males.

Most of the effects seem sub-lethal. At least one of the contributors to the thread was in your situation, and they said they'd never seen ill-effects. So it does seem that you can at least raise somewhat healthy birds on medicated feed.

But from what I am seeing, amprolium doesn't seem to work against coccidiosis in quail. There are, apparently, different types, and the types that quail get aren't susceptible to amprolium. So that's part of the reason why the FDA doesn't approve it—it doesn't do anything.

I just saw that in a PubMed article from 1987. On the other hand, this is in the Learning Center on this website, so that's interesting! https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

So it does seem that you can at least raise somewhat healthy birds on medicated feed.

Not exactly my goal. My goal has always been to have the healthiest birds possible. :-(

Not exactly my goal. My goal has always been to have the healthiest birds possible. :-(
Yeah. Limited options aren't fun. Your weather is nice, and your local hero isn't Florida Man, but I wouldn't want to live in Hawaii.

What you might consider doing is finding a meatbird feed, and mixing it with what you have to dilute the amprolium further. Nutrena makes 22%, your starter is 30%, and if you mix them 1:1 and give insects as treats, you might make up to the 28% it's supposed to be. I realise that half of poison is still poison, but if it's a lower dose, the quails' livers might be able to process it.

@TwoCrows is the exotic pheasant-like bird expert.

@sylviethecochin me an expert? :gig I wouldn't go that far. :D

I have never used medicated feed on any of my poultry, however if this was all that was available, I would use it over making my own feed. At least it is fortified for the growth and health of the bird.

Honestly, I do not know how much damage amprolium does or does not do to a birds body. The levels of amprolium are extremely low in medicated feed however, not enough to treat any outbreaks, only enough for them to develop immunity to Coccidiosis.

All drugs wear out of the body eventually, nothing stays forever. Amprolium is fairly inert, its basically a Thiamine blocker. The Coccidia need it to reproduce and being deprived of it, they soon die. There is no egg withdrawal using amprolium on adult birds.

So all this said, I don't think its really an issue if this feed is all that is available. However I wouldn't use medicated feed for more than 6 weeks. Are these babies? After 6 weeks you should definitely get them on a non medicated feed.

Can you order feed on line?

From memory, so I may be off. The medication also inhibits niacin uptake. Quail need additional niacin than in chicken feed and some game bird feeds so add probiotics or Rooster Booster or nutri-drench vitamins to the water to boost the niacin in the diet. If you don't and you get wry neck, you need more niacin next time. And a non-medicated feed.

best wishes!

However I wouldn't use medicated feed for more than 6 weeks. Are these babies? After 6 weeks you should definitely get them on a non medicated feed.

Thank you @sylviethecochin and @TwoCrows. Yes I have unmedicated feed lined up for them when they are ready! It is pellets, but I plan on adding water and making it a mash. Here is the info on that feed, attached. Let me know if you see anything concerning please! Also, I hope they don’t reject it if I start them on dry...

Attachments

• 945B384B-DB36-4CD9-AB1C-81525F729642.jpeg
    945B384B-DB36-4CD9-AB1C-81525F729642.jpeg
    949.4 KB · Views: 17
From memory, so I may be off. The medication also inhibits niacin uptake. Quail need additional niacin than in chicken feed and some game bird feeds so add probiotics or Rooster Booster or nutri-drench vitamins to the water to boost the niacin in the diet. If you don't and you get wry neck, you need more niacin next time. And a non-medicated feed.

best wishes!

I don’t know how much but the info on the tag indicates the starter feed does have added Niacin. I will contact Nutrena and see what they say.

Thank you @sylviethecochin and @TwoCrows. Yes I have unmedicated feed lined up for them when they are ready! It is pellets, but I plan on adding water and making it a mash. Here is the info on that feed, attached. Let me know if you see anything concerning please! Also, I hope they don’t reject it if I start them on dry...
This should be just fine. Many people feed medicated feed and birds grow just as healthy and happy as birds on the non medicated. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom