Animal Detective Stories.

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
So, I have a hobby of writing animal detective stories based off of true events in my life. I wanted to share the two I have so far.

While you’re reading, imagine them as a black and white tv show.

The case of Sophie’s death

It was a regular Tuesday night in Dietrich, the kind of night where there was nothing to do but go down memory lane by looking at old case files. So that’s what I, Jared Nicholes, Private animal investigator, did. No new cases had arisen since the raccoon bandit carried out the chicken holocaust. I then realized I did have a job, taking care of a little 9 year old rabbit named Sophie.

It was my job to make sure she had food and water, so that night, I went to her house and saw her in her usual spot. I gave her what she needed and headed back to the office.

After a while I called it a night and hit the sack.

The following morning, I went out to investigate a plumbing issue. I do plumbing as a hobby. I was passing by Sophie’s house, when I noticed something was off. Sophie wasn’t in her usual spot. I checked my schedule and realized she was due for a wellness check. I put aside the plumbing and went to Sophie’s house.

When I got there, I found Sophie, dead and bloody.

Thinking this was an animal crime scene, I immediately started an investigation of what happened. I took photos, then went in.

I looked for clues, only to find nothing. No prints, no fur, nothing. Not even a sign of a struggle.

The only clues were that she was alive yesterday evening, and that she is dead now, and something had been eating the carcass. Her food bowl was also full, so nothing’s been coming to steal food.

Other than that, nothing.

I then revisited the scene of the crime a few days later. It recently snowed, and I decided to go back and see if I could figure out what happened. When I got there, I discovered tracks. I also discovered a hole in the snow, as if something was digging. Some of Sophie’s remains that I accidentally left behind were exposed and moved. Whatever tried to eat her may have come back for more.

The footprints belonged to a feral cat, which are common in this area. However, Sophie was a tough rabbit. She killed a cat before, she could do it again.

I headed back to the office, puzzled at this case.

Then, while I was sitting at my desk, a thought came to me, and all the evidence I had supported it.

“She was 9 years old,” I said to myself, “What if she died naturally, and a feral cat just came for the free meal?”

All the evidence seems to support this. After examining the body, I discovered there were no broken bones, except on the chewed up face. There was no sign of a struggle, as there was minimal fur at the scene.

Even if an animal did kill Sophie, I can’t figure out what it was due to lack of evidence.

As a result, and weighing the facts using elementary deduction, I conclude that she passed away naturally at 9 years old, and something came along and tried to eat the carcass, most likely a feral cat, judging from the footprints in the snow later on.

Regardless, I have lost a friend.

And thus ends the case of Sophie’s death.

This one is a little exaggerated.

The case of the raccoon bandit

It was nighttime in Dietrich, The kind of night that reminded you that there would always be a culprit trying to go after chickens. So, Jared Nicholes, private animal investigator, popped his feet up on his desk, and looked out the window, at the chickens he has sworn to protect. It was then that trouble walked in. A neighbor of mine came into the house. She was in distress.

“Jared, I need your help. I’ve got money, see? I can pay!” She said in a trembling voice.

“Calm down. Start from the beginning. What’s going on?“ I said to her calmly. She hesitated.

“Something has been coming and eating my chickens one by one every night! I have 15, and I am now down to four. It’s been killing chickens, and leaving the carcasses behind.“ she said, sobbing.

“I’ll set up my camera tonight, and I’ll see if I can spot what’s going on. I bet you it’s the raccoon bandit. I’ve seen him in the newspaper a few times. He’s been striking a lot.”

I then proceed to leave my office, and go to the scene of the crime. There was definitely signs of a struggle. I set up my camera.

The next morning, I received a call from her. She was wondering if I could check the camera. I left my office, and walked down the street to the crime scene.

When I got to the scene of the crime, I saw the culprit. It was a skunk. She told me, “ That thing I killed my chickens!!” I quickly pulled out my piece, and dispatched the skunk.

Clean kill. I’m not one to make a sloppy kill. I then checked the camera, and discovered that there was more the story than meets the eye. It was indeed the raccoon bandit. The skunk was his accomplice.

I told her to fortify the run, and that I would be there for a stake out tonight to the catch the culprit.

That night, I was waiting until midnight. The raccoon bandit didn’t show up. I called it a night, and left.

The same thing happened the next night. However, on the third night, something interesting happened. The raccoon bandit seem to turn around. He decided not to go for the chickens anymore. There has not been a loss in that run since then.

However, what troubles me is that the raccoon bandit is still out there, somewhere.

If he does strike again, I will reopen the case, and attempt to track him down once more.

And thus ends the case of the raccoon bandit.

I'm enjoying the stories, even if they're not happy. You have a good "voice."

Maybe you should make up some more? In my head, these sound like the Guy Noir stories on Lake Woebegone.

Back
Top Bottom