Another newbie with questions (sorry!)

Firefly

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Connecticut
Hi all **waves**. I've been lurking here for several weeks in anticipation of our chicks coming. I thought I had all my questions answered already just from searching the forum, but now that they are here, I have more! On Friday we picked up our 6 RR chicks from the local feed store. Unfortunately we've already lost one (on the second night). She had been lethargic all day so I knew something was wrong. The rest seem to be doing fine, although one of them has diarrhea. She is peppy, alert, seems to eating/drinking okay, but should I be worried? On Sunday I had given them a little taste of a grape and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be giving treats at this age. (I only gave them the tiniest bit that one time, and no more since). I am cleaning out the paper towels and providing fresh water about 3-4 times a day (and fresh food once a day).

My other question is, I've already noticed some toe picking. Is this common with chicks or something I need to be concerned about? They seem to have plenty of room and are warm (not too warm). I'm wondering if I should try a bigger box? The one I'm using is about 1.5x2 ft. for 5 chicks.

Here are some pictures of our little ladies-- they are so cute!

chicks070001.jpg

chicks07c.jpg

chicks07a0001.jpg

Firefly

Firefly, your doing an excellent job with your biddies!!!
frow.gif
The toe picking is normal especially with new chicks. As they get older and become more familiar with what is actually food they begin to eat better and learn quickly that toes do not satisfy their hunger.
smile.png
As time goes by you will find that the height of the box is important as they will learn to jump and fly up and out of a short box. And if this happens in the night while your asleep the chicks could freeze to death away from the light. I am assuming you have a light for warmth. So there may have to be a change to a higher box in future weeks as the chicks get older and more active with jumping. Just keep a watch on them for this activity. Your chicks are so pretty!!! Good luck to you. Chickens are fun!

Johnny

Last edited:
Hi Firefly-
Your chicks are very cute! I have a few RR's too along with a variety of others. 23 all together. About a week old now. I have a similar situation - everybody looks good - active and eating, but with some loose droppings. From the info that I have gathered, it seems like sometimes loose stool can just be stress related and also that a chick will have an occassional loose BM. My local vet identified that watery droppings can be an indication of coccidiosis. (They are on medicated starter feed.) I wouldn't describe what I see as watery, but rather more like chocolate syrup (in color and consistency - certainly not smell!) (Too much information?
wink.png
) My situation has been going on for a couple days now and I am getting ready to quarantine the culprits. Better safe than sorry! I lost a chick last weekend and I'm not interested in losing any more! Anyway, maybe somebody else out there has more info. I am new to the chicken business and certainly no expert!
Good Luck!
Simple Chick

Hi,welcome to BYC, got some cute babies there.
smile.png

If you are able to get some medicated feed,Purina Start & grow is a good one,It has amprol in it that protects the littles one from cocci.I can't remember how long they reccomend it but it,I think it says on the bag.

Good to have ya, Miriam

Miriam-
Would a little steamed or boiled rice be recommended to address the diarrhea issue?
I've heard of people offering it as a treat.
Thanks!
Simple Chick

Thanks for the information, everyone! Yes, it is definitely of the chocolate syrup varienty LOL. They are on the medicated starter so I'm hoping it's just a little stress and will go away. I feel much better after reading your replies.

I do have a red heat lamp on them (and am having a heck of a time keeping the brooder at a level temp-- I check it constantly!) and a hardware cloth frame on top of the box to keep the cats out. The chicks are so funny though-- they are ALREADY starting to try and "fly the coop" when I'm cleaning it out! They will look up at me, crouch down, and pop full-throttle into the air as high as they can go (which isn't much at this point)... the determination they show is too funny. I will definitely have to put a top on our run (I was planning on it anyway).

Thanks again everyone!
big_smile.png

Firefly

Simple Chick, I don't know.. I've haven't ever given mine any before
idunno.gif

I've given mine mealworms & just love to get'em crickets.
tongue.png
Just make sure you offer some grit like playsand for the little ones. Treats only every now & then
old.gif
smile.png

Later,Miriam

u sound like a complete gameshow!
lol
my chick is cute and cuddly and i just want people to help me
i also a newbie and want my qu's answered

Well then, cookie_chick, make a new thread, if you haven't already-- That might help get more attention :3

What kind of questions?

Back
Top Bottom