Any artists out there?

I can look at a picture for reference and that's what I've been doing, but I would love to learn how to draw from my own mind, without a picture
The way to start is by watching your subject and snapping pictures from different angles. All artist have reference photos they work from. As you progress with your work, it becomes easier to move your subjects to different positions or settings.... but build yourself a library of sorts. An example that comes to mind are the artists that worked on the lion king. They went to the zoo and did sketch after sketch of lions.... some took photos for later... but they sat there, day after day and drew lions. By the time they sat down at their production tables, they had thousands of drawing to use for reference.

The way to start is by watching your subject and snapping pictures from different angles. All artist have reference photos they work from. As you progress with your work, it becomes easier to move your subjects to different positions or settings.... but build yourself a library of sorts. An example that comes to mind are the artists that worked on the lion king. They went to the zoo and did sketch after sketch of lions.... some took photos for later... but they sat there, day after day and drew lions. By the time they sat down at their production tables, they had thousands of drawing to use for reference.
That's such a great idea! I usually find a picture that I like, then copy it to the letter, but I'd like to do more on my own. I'll try focusing on something like this after inktober's done.

wow, thanks!
Do you draw with reference pictures?
I usually look at pictures and copy them.

wow, thanks!
Do you draw with reference pictures?
I usually look at pictures and copy them.
I use TONS of reference material. Usually photos I take, but I have several friends who are photographers who give me tons of material. I will draw or paint something for them.... they shoot pictures for me.

Back
Top Bottom