Any artists out there?

About how many hours would you guess you have into this so far? Stunning!
I can tell you. 46 hours.

It's done. I've signed my name. Pictures early tomorrow at 6 am during golden hour and then it needs to go out to the knife maker to be spit shined for the show.

Attachments

• 20220514_000506.jpg
    20220514_000506.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 5
Wow, this is amazing and interesting, too...do you have any pics of all of your creative genius? Did you ever get hung up on details? I spend a lot of time chasing details around, seems like!

The floor paint job in my basement is super basic, I was just happy to get the seismic cracks caulked first!
I'll see if I can get a pic or two. And oh my yes, I really struggle with getting caught up in the details. So I give myself a time limit to finish, and my mantras are: 'It doesn't have to be perfect. I am just having fun, not painting a masterpiece.' Lol. Oh, and also, over and over 'worst thing that can happen is I wasted some time and paint.'

I did a very loose, 5 minute sketch of my fish on black paper, as prep for when I paint it on the canvas. Obviously some things will need to be changed, like sizing and better anatomy, but I’m hoping it’ll look somewhat like this.
539C4296-9D17-4DD6-99D5-7C767292885F.jpeg

I want to start it tomorrow, but I literally spent a little over 8 hours scrubbing out my main coop, and right now my hands/wrists aren’t really working too well, lol. So we’ll see.

We have an ancient farmhouse and no $$$ to fix it up like we want, so over the years I messed around with trompe l'oeil style painting on floors that needed to be refinished. I used floor grade latex and polycrilic-ed the heck out of them at the end, but they held up well and were fun to do (if you don't count the sore... well, everything at the end of the day from kneeling and balancing with a paintbrush.)

In our sunroom, which only had ratty carpet laid over subfloor, I painted a compass rose that was calibrated to magnetic north (so some far away future day when we actually put proper flooring up there and when someone tears that up to see my weird artwork, they would be able to see how much the earth's polarity had shifted - yes, I am a consummate dork).

In our mudroom, also on subfloor, I painted faux tiles, and most everyone actually thinks its actually tiled. Mwa-ha-ha-haaa.

That turned into faux crumbling plaster over faux brick that I did about 12 yrs ago in an office with actual plaster and cracks from the house shifting, so you can almost see the waviness of the lathe behind it. It was fun. And I had a guest suggest that we need to just tear out the drywall to exhibit the brick, thinking it was real. Made me feel good.

Over a patched up chimney circle, I painted a porthole that shows underwater fish in one room. And on another wall with a really bad chimney hole, I painted a forest scene with a rising sun. None are perfect, but they are art, so they don't have to be, right?

Anyway, my point is... Have some fun with your floor painting. Add a personal touch. The worst that could happen is you hate it and just paint over it. That's always been my rationale anyway. 😉 And if you're broke and living in a place that needs a lot of work, it works as a fun 'band-aid solution' for lower priority fix-its.
That's cool!
I am SOOO happy to have found other artist animal lovers!

I, too, am renovating our home. Tore out ugly tan carpet in the attic studio and the hideous pink, 30 yr old carpet from bedrooms, & the hallway. I've painted the Kilz on it & my daughter & I will be painting a river from the studio, down the stairs, thru the hallway, & down the last set of stairs.

We will be doing trees, mountains, & Alaskan wildlife on the walls as well. I hope to start next week.

Here are some examples of what I've done...unfortunately most aren't on my phone anymore as it was taking up to much space. I'll share other pieces later, from the computer.

The sculpture I just did for my mil for Mother's Day. The vase is watercolor & the tea pot is acrylic.

View attachment 3106475View attachment 3106477View attachment 3106478
I love the reflections.
Wow.
I did a very loose, 5 minute sketch of my fish on black paper, as prep for when I paint it on the canvas. Obviously some things will need to be changed, like sizing and better anatomy, but I’m hoping it’ll look somewhat like this.
View attachment 3108357
I want to start it tomorrow, but I literally spent a little over 8 hours scrubbing out my main coop, and right now my hands/wrists aren’t really working too well, lol. So we’ll see.
I love your avatar!

Back
Top Bottom