Any artists out there?

Stars
20220606_143241.jpg

I've had the opportunity to speak with another engraver who has appreciable skill and established reputation in the knife engraving community (because there are watch engraving communities, firearm engraving communities, jewelry engraving communities, motorcycle engraving communities, keyboard engraving communities.... for such a niche-ass craft, there's another layer of niche). "Speed comes with time", she says to me. I could clock my hours right now, but I think that would just stress me out. I'm experiencing some hangups on this piece, trepidation about how to execute the design, because I don't trust my own judgment. It increases the amount of time spent.

The amount of hours it takes just to fill in the starry sky is probably more than I want to consider.
284201239_1269467347218138_7647701481638146441_n.jpg

I've had the opportunity to speak with another engraver who has appreciable skill and established reputation in the knife engraving community (because there are watch engraving communities, firearm engraving communities, jewelry engraving communities, motorcycle engraving communities, keyboard engraving communities.... for such a niche-ass craft, there's another layer of niche). "Speed comes with time", she says to me. I could clock my hours right now, but I think that would just stress me out. I'm experiencing some hangups on this piece, trepidation about how to execute the design, because I don't trust my own judgment. It increases the amount of time spent.

The amount of hours it takes just to fill in the starry sky is probably more than I want to consider.View attachment 3139610
But the payoff... Amazing.

I am experiencing conflicted emotions about the text but it's what it is. Engraving has this sort of unforgiving quality in that once you've committed to a cut, well... yeah. That includes all your slips, mistakes and random poke holes cause you sneezed. I've already slipped across this thing twice and had to stone it completely down from 300 back to 2000 and one slip was all the way across the elk's face. :)

20220608_110331.jpg

Attachments

• 20220608_110442.jpg
    20220608_110442.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 3
I am experiencing conflicted emotions about the text but it's what it is. Engraving has this sort of unforgiving quality in that once you've committed to a cut, well... yeah. That includes all your slips, mistakes and random poke holes cause you sneezed. I've already slipped across this thing twice and had to stone it completely down from 300 back to 2000 and one slip was all the way across the elk's face. :)

View attachment 3140913
We're our own worst critics. I see nothing wrong here. I know YOU know where all the flaws are, but an end consumer unless they're an expert engraver themselves or are just a picky a-hole will be delighted with this.

Back
Top Bottom