Any artists out there?

This is what I’m working on in art class right now. The project is little human big animal in charcoal. Mine not finished yet but I think it’ll be done in one or two more classes
IMG_4220.jpeg

Its official - Baohong Academy hot press cotton watercolor paper is GSC Artwork approved and recommended. :D

I tested watercolor, colored pencil, and a little bit of gouache. It's wonderful for watercolor and gouache (and I'm sure for acrylics as well). It's not my favorite for colored pencil (I prefer an even smoother surface). It would probably be okay for someone who blends with mineral spirits, which I don't. There was minimal warping and it stood up to a lot of water and scrubbing, though the edges curled when I cut the page from the block which is a little annoying.

View attachment 3764764
All of your water color that I’ve seen is so cool! How do you do watercolor? Like what’s your biggest tip?
Love it so much! I’m having a similar thing in my art class, too. The one i’m doing is a highland cow
Thanks! I love highland !!

All of your water color that I’ve seen is so cool! How do you do watercolor? Like what’s your biggest tip?

Thanks! I love highland !!
Thank you! Hmm, well for watercolor i always do light colors first, then gradually applying the dark in layers.
Also, i like to wet the paper for the first few layers to give it a softened look, and for the final layers i don’t, so the colors come off darker and less blended. :)

It’s a little tricky but it’s a lot of fun to do and i think it’s really relaxing.

Last edited:
Thank you! Hmm, well for watercolor i always do light colors to dark and in layers. It’s really hard to go back so it’s best to do it in layers.

Also, i like to wet the paper for the first layers to give it a softened look, and for the final layers i don’t, so the colors come off darker and less blended.
Yeah I just realized my issue is probably that the water color paper the school has isn’t very high quality and you really can’t use much water on it at all. Like one layer maybe two before it curls and warps all over the place. I don’t have any watercolors at home that I like though

Yeah I just realized my issue is probably that the water color paper the school has isn’t very high quality and you really can’t use much water on it at all. Like one layer maybe two before it curls and warps all over the place. I don’t have any watercolors at home that I like though
Oh yeah, it’s really annoying when it does that. I have artist loft watercolor which is a good quality for how cheap it is. Only about $7 i think.

Oh yeah, it’s really annoying when it does that. I have artist loft watercolor which is a good quality for how cheap it is. Only about $7 i think.

If you wanna really get into it, you can invest in a better one. But it works well and you can figure out if you like it or not.
Ok thanks, good to know

My biggest tip is buy good paper - 100% cotton and 140lb+ and tape on all sides (or buy a watercolor paper block). The quality of the watercolors isn't as important as the paper, but better quality watercolors contain more pigment so you don't have to apply as many layers to get dark colors. Like @Chicken poppy, I also start light and apply darker thin layers on top to achieve depth.

Back
Top Bottom