Any guesses to the gender? Also...peacomb or no??

JesWith3

Songster
Jul 25, 2022
This baby has me stumped. Obviously, I know that I'll just have to wait it out to see what this baby really is, but I'm wondering if anyone has any guesses just by glancing. He/She is a day over 2 weeks old. Parents are EE mama and Ameraucana daddy. Baby feather sexed ROO at 2 days old and again at 3 days old. Now, at 2 weeks, he/she is starting to look and act more hen to me. Won't be sure til we hear a cockadoodledoo, but what do you think?
Also, from a couple of angles, the comb looks pea comb, but from other angles, it looks straight...what say you?
peacombgender.jpg
peacombgender2.jpg

Far too young to be certain of sex. Wing sexing requires specific genetics in the parents to make the right combination of genes in the offspring, so I wouldn't count on it being correct in a random mix like this. As for the comb, more than likely it's a heterozygous pea comb--that is, the chick has one pea comb gene and one not-pea-comb gene, giving it the appearance of a taller pea comb that could be mistaken for a single.

Far too young to be certain of sex. Wing sexing requires specific genetics in the parents to make the right combination of genes in the offspring, so I wouldn't count on it being correct in a random mix like this. As for the comb, more than likely it's a heterozygous pea comb--that is, the chick has one pea comb gene and one not-pea-comb gene, giving it the appearance of a taller pea comb that could be mistaken for a single.
Gotcha! Thank you so much! I learn so much here. I DID know that feather sexing can't really be counted on in most situations, but wanted to give it a go. I'm really hoping this baby turns out to be a hen, since one of his/her siblings (same dad, different mama) we thought was a girl is looking like a roo ((sigh))

Nothing wrong at all with experimenting as long as you're aware that it might not be accurate! I have a whole article about using random chick sexing methods and testing how accurate they are on random chicks. 😁 Here's hoping you do have a pullet in the mix! :fl

Back
Top Bottom