Any idea on breed? Cream Legbar or Welbar?

briannamonique16

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2023
I went to a store and bought a couple chickens, was told two of them are cream Legbar and another Welbar. I can’t tell which is which and would like to know. Here’s it is at 5 weeks old and then as a baby chick (the one on left, black stripe down back) Also, it’s not a rooster right? First time chicken owner here… haha.
Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 5490AC15-987E-4044-BD17-E4F7FD7D614C.jpeg
    5490AC15-987E-4044-BD17-E4F7FD7D614C.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 50
  • C7E9D5DD-A121-4A0F-A480-BDCBBD27A0B7.png
    C7E9D5DD-A121-4A0F-A480-BDCBBD27A0B7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
The two babies in the picture are girls. Double barred males would have larger yellow head spots and less extreme striping.

I assume a Welbar is a Welsummer x Legbar? Depending on which direction the cross was, you can have barred or unbarred offspring, so the chick pic doesn’t tell me anything there.

The crest on the juvenile looks like a full Legbar crest to me. My crosses with only one Legbar parent do not result in that big of a crest at that age (there’s only one crest gene instead of two). I guess you’ll find out for sure when they start laying bc the Welbar would lay green if I’m assuming the parentage correctly here. :)

I assume a Welbar is a Welsummer x Legbar?

Welbar was created as a breed back in the 1940s.
It was based on Welsummers, with barring from a cross with Barred Plymouth Rock, so they are autosexing the same way Legbars and Bielefelders are.
They seem to have mostly died out, but Privett hatchery has some listed on their site:
https://www.privetthatchery.com/product/1172

I don't know for sure whether they found a few Welbars still around and bred from them, or whether they re-created them, but the description & photos seem about right.

A Welbar does not (or should not) have a crest.

The two babies in the picture are girls. Double barred males would have larger yellow head spots and less extreme striping.

I assume a Welbar is a Welsummer x Legbar? Depending on which direction the cross was, you can have barred or unbarred offspring, so the chick pic doesn’t tell me anything there.

The crest on the juvenile looks like a full Legbar crest to me. My crosses with only one Legbar parent do not result in that big of a crest at that age (there’s only one crest gene instead of two). I guess you’ll find out for sure when they start laying bc the Welbar would lay green if I’m assuming the parentage correctly here. :)
Welbars were originally created using Welsummer X Barred Rock.

Welbar was created as a breed back in the 1940s.
It was based on Welsummers, with barring from a cross with Barred Plymouth Rock, so they are autosexing the same way Legbars and Bielefelders are.
They seem to have mostly died out, but Privett hatchery has some listed on their site:
https://www.privetthatchery.com/product/1172

I don't know for sure whether they found a few Welbars still around and bred from them, or whether they re-created them, but the description & photos seem about right.

A Welbar does not (or should not) have a crest.
Ideal has a limited selection of Welbars also.

Back
Top Bottom