Anybody clone quail?

Susan Skylark

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Apr 9, 2024
Midwestern US
I didn’t mean to do it, and in reality I had nothing to do with it, it was just a little science project…but somehow we cloned Rocky, albeit a pale imitation but otherwise an exact replica. Who may you ask is Rocky? He’s our Italian male, the one who got beat up by girls and needed couples therapy. A quail so sweet and dumb he just sits in your hand and lets you pet him, my son’s pride and joy. While we were chopping the heads off the extra males we got into a little kerfuffle, I wanted to keep the blue male but he’s a bit of a spaz, then my son walks up with this pale imitation just standing on his hand, a six week old pearl male with little one on one time with people! The silly bird is just like his dad, I couldn’t cut his head off, we kept him and ate the blue (gorgeous bird but nuts). Anybody ever clone a quail before? This silly thing is an exact copy of the original save the fee gene. I’d rather breed for color but temperament is taking precedence! Much rather have sweet and dumb than gorgeous and mean, why can’t they be gorgeous and sweet? I have a pretty scarlet tuxedo hen from this batch that I really wanted to keep but she’s a homicidal maniac and doesn’t like anybody. She’s got to go! How do antisocial quail survive when they are such social birds?

I’m just kidding on the cloning! He’s not an exact copy since he has the fee gene, he’s just the same exact personality, it’s a little disconcerting! I just put random eggs in the incubator and he’s one of them. What would the lifespan be on an actual cloned quail? Dolly the sheep had a short life and quail only live a couple years as it is!

I’m just kidding on the cloning! He’s not an exact copy since he has the fee gene, he’s just the same exact personality, it’s a little disconcerting! I just put random eggs in the incubator and he’s one of them. What would the lifespan be on an actual cloned quail? Dolly the sheep had a short life and quail only live a couple years as it is!
Oh🤣🤣

From what I've read, Dolly was euthanized at 6.5 years due to lung disease and severe arthritis. A post-mortem showed that she had a form of lung cancer and the scientists who cloned her said they didn't think the cloning had anything to do with her getting cancer. It is apparently a common cancer in sheep, caused by a retrovirus and others in the same flock had died from it. It's also apparently more likely for sheep kept indoors which was where Dolly was kept for security reasons. Her type of sheep has a normal lifespan of 11 to 12 years so she still lived more than half of that.

Back
Top Bottom