Anyone ever buy and use a coop from tractor supply?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
I'm looking at a few that say they're for 4-6 chickens, but they look very small. Are they talking standard size or bantam size? I would be making a bigger fenced in area for them to roam when I'm home with them. Right now i have RIR, EE and RSL chickens and I'm wondering if I'd need to change to a smaller breed. I'm only looking to keep 4 birds when I move. My husband said I should just buy a shed and convert it, but this would be much easier and looks nicer then what I could do by myself, not to mention it's less than $300. I am also considering running and stringing up some LED Xmas lights for the girls in the coop so they have some light and will hopefully lay during the winter months.

Here is the specs of the one I'm looking at.

Chicken Coop: Brand : Advantek
2122.png

Recommended Number of Chickens : 5-6 Chickens
Product Size : 28 in. W x 46 in. L x 46 in. H
Product Weight : 90 lb.
Roof Material : Asphalt
Wall Material : Fir Wood

Is that size for just the coop part or the whole thing? If it's the coop part that MIGHT be big enough if they weren't going to be spending a lot of time in their coop. I have a 4x6 coop and I have 9 hens right now and they fit in there just fine with plenty of room to spare. But, they have a covered porch that is 6x6 and then the space under the coop and porch too, so they have more space to get away from rain. They are only in the coop to lay their eggs and then at night to roost. We don't have harsh winters here, so there is also not a concern over them being in the coop to stay warm during the winter.

If you will have similar conditions, then I think that size would be ok if there is enough roosting space. Each chicken should have 1 foot of roost space. If the box part of that is 46x28 then that might be ok for four, but I have a feeling that is saying the entire thing is that size...which would make that box part actually really tiny and maybe better for two hens.

You could build a larger coop for relatively cheap, probably a lot cheaper than that.

I know I could build one, problem is I suck at building and I would have to do it on my own. I've looked for some local builders and they want upwards of $500 for something similar.

I have never purchased one but have talked to a few people that have. Not the same one your looking at but similar. The problems mentioned are that they don't hold up very well and the size ( on the small side). Looks to small for 5-6 chickens. Maybe 4? a shed conversion would give you lots of room - or craigslist might have something. You can find good deals on there sometimes. Good luck on your coop adventure :)

Beware that those dimension are for the overall size..including the nest box and run.
The coop itself is probably like 2' x 2'.

Buy the shed and convert it....you can put cute lights on anything.

This is about 2.5x4 ft, for the run and all. Actually minus the nest boxes, so about 2.5x3...that is about 7.5 sq ft outside space. Recommended full size chickens need 8-10 sq ft of run space, so I do not think this is big enough. The indoor must be 2.5x 2 (I'm guessing half of the total length...which is 5 sq ft. Recommended indoor space is 4 sq ft per chicken. Again, I so not think this is big enough, unless only temporary.

Some other complaints Ive heard about the premade coops are that they are cheap wood and you'll be replacing in a few years anyways, the cheap wood is drafty. They are not predator proof, the latches are not, and the bottom is not wired, so anything can dig under. I wanted to buy a premade coop but after researching, decided I would build. It was cheaper than buying, and gives my girls more space than a premade would have. I just did a very simple and small coop.i have never built anything,so it's not perfect but it works. You can do it!!

It is cute ... but they are very expensive and not hugely accommodating. I just got a 4 X 50 foot roll of hardware cloth for 80 on wayfair.com. I would look into easy builds and consider making your own. You can make a much more price vs value worthy coop very simply. IMHO, cute is not worth that price gouge.

I got one last year. I wasn't happy. It was supposed to hold 4-6 but my 4 were crowded. It had to be reinforced and offered little help against the winter weather even in a protected area. It does look cute for the neighbors and wasn't to hard to assemble. It is also a pain to clean because the tray doesn't slide properly.Mine has been demoted to an introduction cage.

The inside is real small all it consists of is 2 roost poles going across it. the birds have to go over them to get to the nest box. If this is the one that I saw at my TS store wich I think it is. They use a very cheep feeling rolled shingle paper on it. I actually thought it was sand paper on the roof. My wife wanted to get one I said no just for how cheap it look and felt not to mention my state you have to buy 6 birds and I knew they wouldn't fit in it.

jlaw

Back
Top Bottom