anyone heard of lazy 54 farm? (its a hatchery)

Lazy 54 Farm is the new owner of Shanks Hatchery.

Shanks was around when I was a farm kid in southern Oregon. And, that was a century or so ago
wink.png

Beyond knowing that it was there . . . I don't have any other knowledge but perhaps some BYC'ers have bought from Shanks.

As others have said, you can often work out splitting an order with others. Are you in the Willamette Valley? Somewhere in the PNW?

They may be willing to entertain visitors.

Steve

are they even selling chicks now?depends where you are
that hatchery has been there a long time as was said
I grew up about 20 minutes form there

i emailed them and... they were not the nicest. kinda rude actually i think i will stick with MPC because they are nicer, you can order as few as 3, and i have heard the birds are pretty good too. guess i will just wait till febuary!! thanks!
~Bri

The guy that runs it is very matter o fact. I have heard some good and some bad. I personally would go with a larger hatchery unless you just planned to buy from them because they are close to you.

When I was the Oregon State Fair I met one of the men from Lazy 54 and he told me you could go in person
to get the chicks and in any number you wanted. It may be different if you want to have them shipped.
I think you need to make an appointment if you go in person and they also sell all kinds of equipment.
If you are looking for a specific breed you will also want to contact them ahead of time as they carry different
breeds at different times, although they will notify you if you request something specific.
They only sell chicks though so if you are looking for chickens that are feathered out you may want to
check Craig's List. I have not been out there but the gentleman I talked to at the fair was quite helpful.

Last November I bought 4 chicks: 2 barred rocks & 2 australorps. We drove to the hatchery and picked them up. The people there were nice, the chicks are healthy and lovely, and the only problem is that we wanted 4 pullets but one of the sexed australorps is turning out to be a roo. I would buy chicks from them again, though.

Sarah

I've ordered 12 chicks from them for next month or so. I'll let you know once I pick them up. All my communication with them at this point has been good. I sent in my order, and they confirmed it very quickly with a telephone call.

Bil

Back
Top Bottom