Anyone know why this girl might be making this noise?

ncomp

Chirping
May 26, 2021
Central California, US
I came out to check on my flock this morning and found this girl doing what think might be wheezing? I have quarantined her on our back patio in a dog kennel with some water - I'll get her food in a bit, but other than the sound, she's otherwise behaving normally. This is the first I've noticed this. Any ideas? Apologies for the plane that went overhead at an inopportune moment, but you should still be able to hear the noise she's making.

I have a video posted here: https://www.reddit.com/r/chickens/s/tmv8sGNlZd

Post your video to You Tube and copy the URL and paste it here. It will embed and everyone can view it.

Is your hen isolated because of the noise she's making? If that's the only reason, release her. The stress will only aggravate her issue.

The issue is likely something trapped in her airway and causing stridor. It usually resolves on its own in about 24 hours. But get a helper and a flashlight, pry open her beak and have a look for a foreign body. Sometimes a string will get wrapped around the tongue, and that can be very dangerous. Something may be protruding from the esophagus that you may be able to retrieve.

Report back here after the exam and tell us what you found. We may have further instructions.

There was nothing in her mouth that we could see. On the reddit thread, a bunch of folks advised I put her back in the run with the others, and when i did, she did run straight to the nesting boxes. She does still seem to be making the noise, but not as frequently. I'll let y'all know if that changes.

Back
Top Bottom