Approaching a significant renovation

BlueEcho

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2024
NJ
We bought a house last year with an existing garden, chicken coop and run. We are into gardening and wanted chickens so it was a perfect fit… on paper.

The mini coop they had for incubating wasn’t awful to clean out, and we have a dozen 12 week old chickens happily in that run and coop. We have just under twenty 3 week old chicks in an inside brooder that we have to prepare to integrate in the next couple weeks. (Aka we will keep the two age groups separate but both outside for a bit. So main coop needs to be ready to go within the month.)

Now that we have researched and decided how we want to raise and take care of our flock, the main coop needs a lot of work. Basically a full gut and rebuild. Sellers had half sectioned off for rabbits and that side is So Disgusting.

Approx 16 ft by 12 ft shed. Some of the flooring is worn through. We’re planning to rip everything out, give it a good scrub or wash down and replace floor add walls with new plywood. Plus add vinyl/linoleum flooring and paint the walls for easier cleaning. Considering insulation since winters can get cold. And on top of that the run just has so much garbage - old cans, shards of glass, etc. Lots of work to do, and a timeline.

Will add pictures and/or videos of coop condition in the next couple days. But appreciate any advice from more experienced chicken keepers or anyone who has been though a major cleaning/renovation. And of course will be posting progress photos.

No insulation is needed and it attracts pests. 24/7/365 ventilation that is far above the roosts, predator-proof, and protected from the rain is most important in the winter AND summer. One square foot of ventilation per bird is recommended. Windows for light and extra summer ventilation is great too.

The sooner you can begin integration the more success you will have with the two groups in your new coop. I took my guidance from @aart (see https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/). Have now been through half a dozen hatches and can attest the process works.

Forget insulation and be aware that closing in wall cavities creates space that small critters can set up house.

Ensure that you have appropriate ventilation (1 sq ft per bird) that does not create drafts on the birds when roosting.

Photos of the coop. It’s sectioned into two halves, as I mentioned. We plan to gut it and pull out all the rabbit hutches and see if anything on the chicken side is salvageable.

Attachments

• IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    948.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5040.jpeg
    IMG_5040.jpeg
    735.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5041.jpeg
    IMG_5041.jpeg
    818.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5042.jpeg
    IMG_5042.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 9
No insulation is needed and it attracts pests. 24/7/365 ventilation that is far above the roosts, predator-proof, and protected from the rain is most important in the winter AND summer. One square foot of ventilation per bird is recommended. Windows for light and extra summer ventilation is great too.
The sooner you can begin integration the more success you will have with the two groups in your new coop. I took my guidance from @aart (see https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/). Have now been through half a dozen hatches and can attest the process works.

Forget insulation and be aware that closing in wall cavities creates space that small critters can set up house.

Ensure that you have appropriate ventilation (1 sq ft per bird) that does not create drafts on the birds when roosting.
Thank you both for the advice, I talked to my partner about not adding insulation or lining the walls.

The flooring is in rough shape, especially holey on the old rabbit side. We are planning to rip that up and replace with new plywood. I swept what droppings I could out today, planing to dust and spray down the walls and ceilings. I’d like to finish or seal the walls with something - leaning towards a lime whitewash over paint. Any tips on that?

I also posted pictures of what we are working with finally.

Looks very serviceable to me; great place to start. Back in the day animal houses used white wash for interior walls. A bag of hydrated lime is maybe $20. Mixes with water, goes on very easily with big brush, deters critters,easily renewed. Goes on greyish but drys white, I think I did 2 coats 5 years ago, needs another coat.

Back
Top Bottom