Aquired "Jill Reece" Cream Leg bars, 1&2 yros. Said difficult 2get2lay.PLEASE HELP!?

WildAtHart

Chirping
Jan 31, 2018
Kansas Flint Hills
:loveI've finally gotten a big beautiful Cream Legbar Rooster & a Cream Legbar hen, and 2 Crested Cream Legbar hens! AWESOME!
However - Upon examination hens are definitely NOT back in lay yet... all appear healthy enough, not older than what was told to me....Others were said to have had similar experiences with lack of laying eggs regularly within this line....purchased fromy the same "name brand farm". What can I do differently for these birds to help them feel better? Put them back ON the the egg wagon?
:celebrate :wee :pop
WE LOVE THESE CHICKENS! WHO OUT THERE CAN HELP A CHICK OUT?
:ya :thumbsup:ya

The book "Call of the Hen" is one that focuses on laying qualities of hens. It is available to read free on-line. It mostly covers the laying type of the hen. If the hen is not built right it will never be a productive layer. You however can have a hen that is built right that fails to reach its potential due to how it is managed. That relates to diet, parasites, illness, stress, etc. Any time a bird moved to a new location it stresses the bird, changes in weather, diet, flock mates, etc also stress the birds. If you just moved your hens then they have could have stopped laying due to stress. If that is the case give them some time. They also could have illness or parasites. Moving a bird to a new location exposes them to new things. That on top of the stress of a new location, new feed, etc make them very susceptible to illness when move. Some illness will weaken the bird but some few if any external symptoms. If they are weakened from illness they will not be laying. Additionally some illnesses will weaken the bird for life so even after they get better they will never be the productive layer that they were. Parasite are another thing that slows production. The parasites weaken the bird just like an illness does and will bring production to a halt. The last thing is conditioning. if you feel along the keel bone of the hen it should have flesh to where you can only feel the top of the bone but not the sides. If you have 1/4 of and inch of the side of the keep bone exposed it is a pinch out a conditioning. If you have a 1/2 inch exposed it is two pinches out of condition etc. The More out of condition it is the few eggs it will produce. Keeping the hens well conditioned will keep them in lay.

Congratulations on the Rees Hens. They are gorges birds. Try deworming, dusting, and giving you hens the good feel and see if they come around.

The book "Call of the Hen" is one that focuses on laying qualities of hens. It is available to read free on-line. It mostly covers the laying type of the hen. If the hen is not built right it will never be a productive layer. You however can have a hen that is built right that fails to reach its potential due to how it is managed. That relates to diet, parasites, illness, stress, etc. Any time a bird moved to a new location it stresses the bird, changes in weather, diet, flock mates, etc also stress the birds. If you just moved your hens then they have could have stopped laying due to stress. If that is the case give them some time. They also could have illness or parasites. Moving a bird to a new location exposes them to new things. That on top of the stress of a new location, new feed, etc make them very susceptible to illness when move. Some illness will weaken the bird but some few if any external symptoms. If they are weakened from illness they will not be laying. Additionally some illnesses will weaken the bird for life so even after they get better they will never be the productive layer that they were. Parasite are another thing that slows production. The parasites weaken the bird just like an illness does and will bring production to a halt. The last thing is conditioning. if you feel along the keel bone of the hen it should have flesh to where you can only feel the top of the bone but not the sides. If you have 1/4 of and inch of the side of the keep bone exposed it is a pinch out a conditioning. If you have a 1/2 inch exposed it is two pinches out of condition etc. The More out of condition it is the few eggs it will produce. Keeping the hens well conditioned will keep them in lay.

Congratulations on the Rees Hens. They are gorges birds. Try deworming, dusting, and giving you hens the good feel and see if they come around.
Thank you very much! Super great advice.... I AM excited about them. They ARE lovely birds, plus? Sweet natured things too. They're not hyper excitable & the Rooster seems to genuinely take loving care of his gals. When I poured scratch in for them, he clucked his girls over and waited for all of them to join him before he began to eat! A very big sweetheart of guy....❤
I JUST LOVE THESE!!!

Last edited:
How long have you had them?
Did you integrate them into your existing flock?
It can take awhile after a move for them to get comfortable enough to start laying again.

I have 1 CCL that's now a year old, she's not a prolific layer, maybe 3-4-5 a week.

How long have you had them?
Did you integrate them into your existing flock?
It can take awhile after a move for them to get comfortable enough to start laying again.

I have 1 CCL that's now a year old, she's not a prolific layer, maybe 3-4-5 a week.
I'e had them 4 weeks now. They are being kept to themselves as they were before. They seemay happy-go-lucky. Just no egg laying. The Roo doesn't seem "interested" in his girls much either. Compared to other breeds, these seem very different to me.

Back
Top Bottom