Are Guineas SUPPOSED to smell bad?

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
The guinea keets we just got smell BAD. Like, rank dog-poop bad. I thought they would be just like chickens, if not cleaner and less smelly... granted, they were stressed and in a box, but they were only in the box for maybe 10 minutes and it was so bad that we had to open the window in the pickup. DH said I cant keep them if they are going to smell like this. Is it because they werent eating the right food or stress or what?

My keets don't smell. The keets themselves smell like chicks - a little feathery. The poop smells like poop - but it's certainly not worse than chicks!

If yours smell really bad, I would worry that they are diseased. Maybe someone else will have more hopeful advice?

Crap! Well, I will check tonight, after they have had a full 24 hours in the brooder to see if they still smell.... if they do, I guess I wont be adding the new chicks to THAT brooder...

Mine don't smell until you try to handle them- I don't know if they let loose with stools or what but they are bad smelling when scared. The birds are healthy, 1-2 years old, and quite happy until you try to catch them. Between the smell and the claws, gloves are a good idea when handling them. Ick..
Lora

Mine don't smell any worse then chicks. In fact, the adult guinea poop is quite a bit smaller then the golf ball size poo's my roo's drop every where!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom