Are my chickens broken?

Chickenwisco

Hatching
Sep 4, 2024
Hello! This is our first time raising chickens so bare with me...I've searched and searched and cannot find answers to why my a couple of my chickens would start, and then stop laying; or why the others haven't started. We got them all on March 27th, so all but 3 are 24 weeks tomorrow. These are the breeds that we have, 2 Light Brahma, 2 Red Blue Lace Wyandotte, 4 Polish, 2 Amercauna, 2 Olive Egger (20wks) , 1 Black Copper Maran (20wks), 2 Salmon Favorelles, and 2 Lavender Orpington.

We got our first 2 eggs from our Amercauna's about 3 weeks ago, they laid 4 eggs total that week (in nesting boxes). We haven't gotten any since, are they broken? One of the light brahmas started laying on Friday last week and we've gotten an egg every day since from her, but nothing from the others.

So I'm trying to figure out why the others gave us a couple eggs weeks ago, and nothing since.

Also, everything I read said these others should've started laying 18-22 weeks, and nothing, are they just late bloomers?

I switched them over to All Flock feed from our local mill about a month and a half ago, they have oyster shells and grit available in their coop at all times (separate from food) and the eggs that we have gotten so far have been really nice eggs, hard shells.

Any help or reassurance is welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
I ask myself this every day!!! I have 11 pullets (6 different breeds) that are 23 weeks old and not a single egg. I also have a cockerel that doesn't crow!

Everything I researched also led me to believe that I would get eggs between 18-22 weeks but after talking to the BYC community, I learned... just like humans, chickens will mature at different rates. It's actually better for them when they don't lay too young. Hang in there! You're definitely not alone.

As for starting and then stopping... that also seems to happen frequently as the chickens body adjusts to the egg laying process. Others may have advice on that.

If you live north of the equator, it is about time for chickens to stop laying and start molting. I wouldn't be too worried. By next Spring, they will be laying machines!

If you live north of the equator, it is about time for chickens to stop laying and start molting. I wouldn't be too worried. By next Spring, they will be laying machines!
This is not accurate in this case. First year layers, that have started laying, will lay their first winter. And they will not molt until next year. OP, they are new layers. Give them time to work out the kinks

This is not accurate in this case. First year layers, that have already started laying, will lay their first winter. And they will not molt until next fall

This is not accurate in this case. First year layers, that have started laying, will lay their first winter. And they will not molt until next year. OP, they are new layers. Give them time to work out the kinks
That's what I hear! I've never had first year layers lay during winter where I am (but I live close to Canada and it can be really cold, like -20*s F.) It would be nice to have layers when others aren't, though!

I know you are right about not having a hard molt, since they continually kind of molt when they are growing. I appreciate the improving of information!

That's what I hear! I've never had first year layers lay during winter where I am (but I live close to Canada and it can be really cold, like -20*s F.) It would be nice to have layers when others aren't, though!

I know you are right about not having a hard molt, since they continually kind of molt when they are growing. I appreciate the improving of information!
I live in Northern Ohio and it gets pretty cold here too

Go down there and read recipes for chicken soup! This is always the most exasperating time. Each day, you walk to the coop and hope and pray and are almost afraid to look, then you do and nada.

Are they bright red combs? Do they squat for you? Those are signs they are getting closer - but still could be two weeks.

I live in SW South Dakota - are days are shortening, mine are going to roost earlier. If I have pullets and they are not laying by early to mid October, they will wait til February.

As for the ones that started, they should be kicking some out soon, they tend to be a bit sporadic at first.

Good luck
Mrs k

Back
Top Bottom