Are ringneck doves noisy?

This may seem silly, but are doves noisy?

• Yes, and they're loud!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but they're not loud.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, but they're loud!

• No, and they're not loud.

• Total voters

Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
Hence the title, do ringneck doves make a lot of noise? I've never had or been around them before. Also, are they loud? I have heard of stories of them being very noisy and loud.

And, is this cage big enough? Again, I've never kept, been around, or focused my attention on them. I know what they are, though.

Here are my quails, by the way:
Below: California quails

Below: Blue-scaled quails

Has anybody here had noise issues with doves? I live in suburbia as you can tell by the photos, and I have 4 different choices to pick from in the poll concerning noise. Sorry if I gave so many Q&A's, but I've never had them before and would like to know from others in the meantime before I get a chance to visit them. Wish the best of luck!

Last edited:
That cage will be heaven for a pair of ringneck doves.... It's perfect!!

Female ringneck doves are very quite. You could have only females.... magicians use only female doves for their dove tricks... so the noise of the males does not disturb people in hotels where they are staying... (I have a friend who did dove 'magic').

I keep ringneck doves. The males are very noisy and LOUD. But the noise is not unpleasant to most people... although it can be monotonous... going on at the same volume and rate for hours at a time if the male is trying to attract a mate.

At my house I don't notice the noise and when I do I find if very relaxing. However, several visitors who stayed over on holiday complained about noisy 'owls' outside during the night and early morning. Eventually I realized they meant the doves lol.

If you keep them inside you house I doubt anyone would hear them outside. If they are outside people might hear them at first.... when they coo at night its the most noticeable as there is no other noise about. So you might want to keep them out in the day and move then in at night. They will call even if you cover the cage.

I suggest you look up some videos on You Tube of the male doves calling.

The ringneck doves are great docile and naturally tame pets.. and you can train them to do simple tricks easily. They are hardy and healthy.

But maybe you should consider other doves species if you are worried about noise annoying neighbours, eg diamond doves, fancy pigeons (white doves), zebra doves, etc.

That cage will be heaven for a pair of ringneck doves.... It's perfect!!

Female ringneck doves are very quite. You could have only females.... magicians use only female doves for their dove tricks... so the noise of the males does not disturb people in hotels where they are staying... (I have a friend who did dove 'magic').

I keep ringneck doves. The males are very noisy and LOUD. But the noise is not unpleasant to most people... although it can be monotonous... going on at the same volume and rate for hours at a time if the male is trying to attract a mate.

At my house I don't notice the noise and when I do I find if very relaxing. However, several visitors who stayed over on holiday complained about noisy 'owls' outside during the night and early morning. Eventually I realized they meant the doves lol.

If you keep them inside you house I doubt anyone would hear them outside. If they are outside people might hear them at first.... when they coo at night its the most noticeable as there is no other noise about. So you might want to keep them out in the day and move then in at night. They will call even if you cover the cage.

I suggest you look up some videos on You Tube of the male doves calling.

The ringneck doves are great docile and naturally tame pets.. and you can train them to do simple tricks easily. They are hardy and healthy.

But maybe you should consider other doves species if you are worried about noise annoying neighbours, eg diamond doves, fancy pigeons (white doves), zebra doves, etc.
Great info! But how is that cage perfect? And are doves like, really loud? Or are they not very loud (in terms of volume)?

Great info! But how is that cage perfect? And are doves like, really loud? Or are they not very loud (in terms of volume)?

A male will coo like this for hours at a time.

The cage is the right size, shape, bar spacing, large floor area, easy to clean, light etc.

A male will coo like this for hours at a time.

The cage is the right size, shape, bar spacing, large floor area, easy to clean, light etc.
Now that's very noisy! In terms of volume, how loud is their cooing?

Lucky for me when it comes to cages!

Last edited:
Now that's very noisy! In terms of volume, how loud is their cooing?

Lucky for me when it comes to cages!

How can I explain how loud it is... compared to what? The noise carries far, but its kind of soothing sound, even if loud. Like having an owl outside your window.

Best you go to a pet shop or another person who keepes them and hear for yourself I think.

How can I explain how loud it is... compared to what? The noise carries far, but its kind of soothing sound, even if loud. Like having an owl outside your window.

Best you go to a pet shop or another person who keepes them and hear for yourself I think.
Maybe, compared to, a budgie's chirps and warbles?
hu.gif
I don't really know how loud they are since I've never really focused much of my attention on them.

This may be a little too late, but I just saw this thread. I have had budgies, and I would say they are louder than that. Compared to a conure or cockatoo, not so loud. It is a peaceful kind of sound, though, compared to a budgies screechiness. The males coo serves two purposes, to attract a mate, and to warn other males away from his territory. If you only have one male, it will not be too bad. However, like roosters, they do start at the crack of dawn and go on all day. Some of your neighbors may be bugged by that, it really depends on the individuals.Not as annoying as a barking dog, though. ( Don't get me wrong, I love dogs) I have 3 doves that live outside, and one in the house, because 3 males all calling was too much noise. Luckily, none of my neighbors have complained. I hope this helps.

This may be a little too late, but I just saw this thread. I have had budgies, and I would say they are louder than that. Compared to a conure or cockatoo, not so loud. It is a peaceful kind of sound, though, compared to a budgies screechiness. The males coo serves two purposes, to attract a mate, and to warn other males away from his territory. If you only have one male, it will not be too bad. However, like roosters, they do start at the crack of dawn and go on all day. Some of your neighbors may be bugged by that, it really depends on the individuals.Not as annoying as a barking dog, though. ( Don't get me wrong, I love dogs) I have 3 doves that live outside, and one in the house, because 3 males all calling was too much noise. Luckily, none of my neighbors have complained. I hope this helps.
Thanks, but what do you mean by that they're louder than that? Budgies louder than doves, or doves louder than budgies? And also, I've been to several swap-meets where they had doves and they were quiet in their cages.

Back
Top Bottom