Are sebright chicks really hard to raise?

Are the chicks more expensive than some other breeds? I have not finalized the deal for the 5 young birds that I am thinking of getting--4 pullets and 1 roo (3 or 4 months old, I think). What is a fair price for me to pay for the 5? I want to give him a fair price, but I don't want to pay too much, either.

Thanks.

Depends somewhat on your area. Pretty much all chicks go for about $3 here irregardless of breed. Started pullets range from $5 to $20 depending on age and quality. Roos pretty much have to be given away. I either list mine free which only sometimes gets rid of them or as part of a pair or trio with the roo either still free or costing a couple dollars.

Quote:
Nope
smile.png
At least not for mine. We have a few inches of snow already and mine are doing quite fine without a heat lamp. Just treat them like any other chicken and make sure they have a dry, draft free shelter and you're good to go
smile.png

i hatched eggs out of my silver sebrights (1 rooster and 3 hens) this spring without problems, they had good fertility and were easy to hatch/raise. my birds are decent quality, nice lacing, just not the ideal body shape (as many i have seen are), so i suppose they could have better fertility because they are not show quality, which are only bred for looks (not laying/fertility). they also lay extremely well, almost an egg a day all year (got them in early spring).

I got two sebright chicks by accident (one rooster, one hen). A hen breeder had gotten them from a 3rd party and was worried they weren't growing like the other chicks. When mom went to get some cornish reds and brought pre-teen me with her, they were given in for free because I fell in love with the patchy "runts" (the others were double their size and they were all getting their pin feathers). They were given to us for free with a warning that they probably won't make it. They went in the coop with the other chicks and only once reaching maturity did we realize that we had bannies instead of runts. They were gorgeous goldens, and the bannie hen was the only hen out of the entire brood that would actually hatch eggs, so it would be adorable seeing her with her 8-10 cornish red/rhode islandchicks. She was raised just like the others, just with more handling on my part and was really vigilant in watching her flock and really tame to people.

Bump. I just bought a straight run pair of silver sebrights and I'm desperately trying to find someone to give me advice and answer questions! They're 9 days old, they had pasty butt but I think I cleared it up, just the little roo is slightly off balance. He kinda trips and rolls over maybe once or twice a day ( it's not increasing in frequency) and quickly easily rights himself again but I feel like his little belly touches the floor and throws him off. He's tiny. Other than that great appetite, drinks clean water, loves being cuddled...his sister is fine, no balance issues but she's slightly bigger and taller. I feel like this might be common With itty bitty bantams, their legs and feet are so fragile and they're so low to the ground and lightweight a breeze would knock them over, but I want to be sure. It's incredibly hard to find care tips specifically for tiny bantam chicks and these are my first bantams! I'm going all out, I spend hours a day watching them and caring for them because I hear they're "fragile" but I'm flying blind here and so far no one has any pointers for me. I just lost two of my young birds, a BR cockerel (2.5 wks) and a male guinea (2 mos) to a predator, they were just babies but they still sacrificed themselves for our little hens. I love roosters, I figured this little pip squeak would fill the void but also be too small to present real problems if he goes all psycho later on, and I don't want to lose another chick :( my boys just died a few days ago and they were my favorites, they were my babies (they were the birds who followed me everywhere and loved affection, the hens only started being lap birds after the boys died in battle). Please help me do my beat for this little guy, he's the sweetest thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom