Are these bumps on combs just from pecking order things

Belovedturkey

Chirping
Apr 16, 2024
Today I saw that two of my chickens had bumps in their combs, on of them looks like it could just be pecking wounds but the other one looks like a growth. Is this pecking wounds, or is it something else and should I just treat them like normal pecking wounds.

First two pictures are of the first chicken and the third one is of the chicken with the growth looking one.
IMG_0048.jpeg
IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0051.jpeg

That is fowl pox, the dry form. It is a virus carried by mosquitoes, and lasts 3-4 weeks. They most always recover, but small chickens or bad strains can be more serious. Also if they develop any yellow patches inside the beak, that is wet pox which is more serious, but less common. There is no treatment, and there is a vaccine available for chickens who have not been exposed, but unless you live in the Deep South or tropical climates, it usually is not necessary.

H
That is fowl pox, the dry form. It is a virus carried by mosquitoes, and lasts 3-4 weeks. They most always recover, but small chickens or bad strains can be more serious. Also if they develop any yellow patches inside the beak, that is wet pox which is more serious, but less common.
How can it treat it right now and is it contagious to the other chickens

The scabs are contagious if they peck each other. Later on the fallen scabs can become dry and powdery, and other chickens may inhale the powder, and can get pox. But mosquitoes are the main source of pox. No treatment will treat a virus, but some people use Betadine on scabs except around the face, to help dry them up. But I don’t know that is helps. You are welcome to separate any with pox if you don’t mind the problems with reintegration. I would prefer to leave mine together unless one was terribly ill. Some chickens may get such a bad strain of pox, their whole face may have scabs. Then I would use some plain antibiotic ointment in the eyes where scabs are close or on eyelids. If they continue to eat and drink, they probably don’t need anything extra, but vitamins, electrolytes may give a boost in weak chickens.

Last edited:
O
The scabs are contagious if they peck each other. Later on the fallen scabs can become dry and powdery, and other chickens may inhale the powder, and can get pox. But mosquitoes are the main source of pox. No treatment will treat a virus, but some people use Betadine on scabs except around the face, to help dry them up. But I don’t know that is helps. You are welcome to separate any with pox if you don’t mind the problems with reintegration. I would prefer to leave mine together unless one was terribly ill. Some chickens may get such a bad strain of pox, their whole face may have scabs. Then I would use some plain antibiotic ointment in the eyes where scabs are close or on eyelids. If they continue to eat and drink, they probably don’t need anything extra, but vitamins, electrolytes may give a boost in weak chickens.
kay thankyou so much,’for now I’ll just continue to monitor and ask for help if it gets worse

Back
Top Bottom