Are these eggs safe to eat?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
Can I eat eggs that my broody has been sitting on for 2 days? She can't hatch them because I don't have a rooster. I should've taken them from her sooner, I just didn't get around to it. Wondering now if her warm butt has spoiled them, or if they are still safe to eat? Temperature outside has been in the 40s (if that matters).

339556181_1347051729205572_2026081272073563005_n.jpg

Can I eat eggs that my broody has been sitting on for 2 days? She can't hatch them because I don't have a rooster. I should've taken them from her sooner, I just didn't get around to it. Wondering now if her warm butt has spoiled them, or if they are still safe to eat? Temperature outside has been in the 40s (if that matters).

339556181_1347051729205572_2026081272073563005_n.jpg
Yes you can eat them. Whether you would want to knowing that the embryo has started to develope is another matter. If you eat chicken then logically there shouldn't be a problem. This may not be an issue to which you feel logic applies.

There is no embryo if there is no rooster.

I would feed these to the dog. It is amazingly hot under a hen, I think they will deteriorate rather quickly if they are not growing.

But if you want - open them and see. When I was a girl, we always opened eggs and checked them, before adding them to baking goods, or cooking.

Mrs K

But if you want - open them and see. When I was a girl, we always opened eggs and checked them, before adding them to baking goods, or cooking.
I always do that too - break each egg in a separate bowl, then dump it in the mixing bowl. I never break eggs straight into the mixing bowl. Just so I can check them and make sure they're okay (also makes it easier to take out any pieces of eggshell if any fall in).

In this particular case, what would I be checking for? Smell? Would they look any different? I don't think I've ever had a "bad" egg, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for...

I always do that too - break each egg in a separate bowl, then dump it in the mixing bowl. I never break eggs straight into the mixing bowl. Just so I can check them and make sure they're okay (also makes it easier to take out any pieces of eggshell if any fall in).

In this particular case, what would I be checking for? Smell? Would they look any different? I don't think I've ever had a "bad" egg, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for...
I would go by smell in this case.

Back
Top Bottom