Are these silkies pure or crossed?

Ais

Songster
Apr 25, 2021
A friend has these and I think they’re gorgeous… I’ve not seen any quite like them…

Attachments

• IMG_6925.jpeg
    IMG_6925.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6922.jpeg
    IMG_6922.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 12
Hi, looks like your birds don't have walnut combs, nor blue earlobes and their faces look reddish, not black. They are very pretty birds and they look healthy, which is good. Good luck on your chicken adventure🙂

Hi, looks like your birds don't have walnut combs, nor blue earlobes and their faces look reddish, not black. They are very pretty birds and they look healthy, which is good. Good luck on your chicken adventure🙂
Thanks! Are they mixed with something, or a specific type like the previous person said? They’re a friend’s silkies and they’re about the same age as mine… maybe a week or two older. Mine are 11 weeks old. This is what they look like:

Attachments

• IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2008.jpeg
    IMG_2008.jpeg
    825.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    723.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1986.jpeg
    IMG_1986.jpeg
    760.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    914.9 KB · Views: 2
They also have blue earlobes, at least on the ones I can see 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2024.jpeg
    IMG_2024.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 5
I have seen a hatchery selling "meat bird silkies". They were for raising and selling to oriental customers who wanted "black chickens" you know, black skin, meat and bones.Yours look more like Standard Bred birds.

I was afraid to offend you. As you can see, Standard Bred Silkies have : Black skin, Walnut combs, Blue earlobes, Five toes on each foot, Topknots, Feathered legs, Mulberry(purple-black) faces and very silky plumage. Ideally, none of their feathers have webs.

Thanks, I don’t take offense. 😁 I buy from hatcheries so I know the quality is usually less than ideal. I bought my silkies from cackle because I heard that their silkies were a bit better than most hatcheries. They are “fluffing out” at different rates as you can see from the pictures… is that normal or does it indicate a range of quality between them?

I think it is normal, Upbred animals don't all look 100% the same as they are not clones. With very good stock, I think the "excellent" average is ~90%. I would never buy just a couple of chicks from somewhere and expect to get only excellence because of the 1 in 10. Your birds look like they could got to the fair and win prizes.

Back
Top Bottom