Arizona Chickens

:yuckyuck

I beg to differ on the "fabricated scare" comment.  Africanized bees can be far more aggressive than European honey bees and their behavior is much less predictable. That said, there has been a huge over-reaction to bees in this country.  Which is not doing my garden any favors.  I love the wild bees around my yard, as long as they mind their own business.  Not thrilled when the scouts start checking out small openings around my house :p

I had to re-read your post a few times. I just kept thinking. " now why are they having boy and girl scout troops looking at homes for holes? is there a spackling badge I don't know about? I must have missed that leader meeting. " 

:yuckyuck

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

(Hope you finally figured out I meant the bees scouting for new hive possibilities)

"Spackling badge"
gig.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

(Hope you finally figured out I meant the bees scouting for new hive possibilities)

"Spackling badge"
gig.gif

give a girl a break! I have a one track mind and I read "scouts" and immediately think CRAP, now what did I miss? I am a super busy dedicated troop leader
big_smile.png

and it's interesting all the bee talk. the girls are working on their bronze award on the disappearance of the honeybees. if anyone knows a local bee keeper that would let the girls come and see the hives and have some time to talk to them, please send me a pm.

and so, because life can never be perfect, though I do try my darndest, I had been aiming at getting my flock numbers down to a manageable number for me since the kids no longer want to help now that they have bunnies. I thought I had gotten to that number but the wild birds had other ideas. half my chicken flock is coughing, bubbly eyes and pathetic. the sad part is that 5 of them are brand new layers. if you know me you know how I feel about medicating and creating typhoid marys, so once the kids go off to school, the culling will begin
hit.gif
I can't watch them sit around gasping for air. darn it!

and so, because life can never be perfect, though I do try my darndest, I had been aiming at getting my flock numbers down to a manageable number for me since the kids no longer want to help now that they have bunnies. I thought I had gotten to that number but the wild birds had other ideas. half my chicken flock is coughing, bubbly eyes and pathetic. the sad part is that 5 of them are brand new layers. if you know me you know how I feel about medicating and creating typhoid marys, so once the kids go off to school, the culling will begin
hit.gif
I can't watch them sit around gasping for air. darn it!
Oh pastrymama, that's tough.
hugs.gif

IT'S CHICK DAY! (finally!)
Got a text message from the USPS this AM to come pick up my chicks. Got 15 pullets and 3 cockerel Black Jersey Giants (supposedly, anyway). there is one I don't think is going to make it, but the others are doing fine. After I put them in the brooder and introduced them to the waterer, they figured out they now have room, and are scurrying around like little black rats. I guess I really need to get busy finishing the run and the coop!

ISO New home: Please don't think I'm one of those people who gets chicks & then does the "now what?" We have loved them but I just don't have the energy (for medical reasons
sickbyc.gif
) to butcher them. I've mentioned several times that maybe I will try to and the family throws up their arms because 1. they are pets and have names and 2. not something I should be doing. I'd love to donate them to boy scouts, 4H, etc. or anyone who'd like them (even to butcher for the stew pot) but I'm not sure who to contact.

We have two barred rock that are just turning THREE years old
old.gif
. Amazingly one is still laying. They have been trained on the treadle feeder & nipple waterer. They have been free-ranged and spoiled on organic greens in addition to the layer pellets. They let me pet them & pick them up. They have been very good with my kids too.

Thanks for the replies of concern. I'm ok now, recovering after a year of cancer treatment. I'm not suppose to go into the coop because of the dust, etc. And what they don't tell you at the start of treatment is that the chronic fatigue could last years.

All that aside, I got up the gumption this morning armed with sharp knives, plastic bags, etc. I "tried" to do the humane method of holding it in your lap and cutting the jugular. I cried & cried all the way thru it. because once you start you can't stop. I think that was the main reason I didn't want to even try. Even though I took it to the other side of the house outside of the view of the coop, the other one started screaming bloody murder just as I was cutting. How terrible is that?! And now, she won't come out of the coop and I'm not going in after her. Well, I don't think it was humanely done, when I thought it was all the way dead and then tried to break it's neck off it cried out. Dear God, I pray I don't come back as a chicken in the next life.

Relax, Noodle Girl. The gasp you heard was not because the hen felt it. It is muscles Nothing more, nothing less. Couple of tips. Hold the bird gently upside down for a minute or two. It puts them into a stupor or trance. Also, I use a cone or hang them head down rather than holding them in my lap. Not safe for your lap. The other hen was just ticked that you pulled out her buddy.

I know you love your hens, but you need to get your head around the fact you are doing the best you can do, you are doing what is right and this will be a good dinner! You are learning the hardest part of sustainable, farm living. As soon as you catch the hen, tell her you are thankful for her life. Then immediately tell yourself this bird is no more. It is dinner. I have worked with literally hundreds of kids, always teaching the end result even to kids as young as 6.

You did fine.

Thanks for the replies of concern. I'm ok now, recovering after a year of cancer treatment. I'm not suppose to go into the coop because of the dust, etc. And what they don't tell you at the start of treatment is that the chronic fatigue could last years.

All that aside, I got up the gumption this morning armed with sharp knives, plastic bags, etc. I "tried" to do the humane method of holding it in your lap and cutting the jugular. I cried & cried all the way thru it. because once you start you can't stop. I think that was the main reason I didn't want to even try. Even though I took it to the other side of the house outside of the view of the coop, the other one started screaming bloody murder just as I was cutting. How terrible is that?! And now, she won't come out of the coop and I'm not going in after her. Well, I don't think it was humanely done, when I thought it was all the way dead and then tried to break it's neck off it cried out. Dear God, I pray I don't come back as a chicken in the next life.
Next time I can help to process if it is that hard on you. offer extends to anybody emotionally attached to their chickens and reasonably close to Chandler.

Back
Top Bottom