Arkansas folks speak up.........

The will sometimes bend the rules. Maybe I shouldn't say this on here, but a certain store where I know the manager will sell me one or two chicks since I usually have some at home already.

I didn't even think about people buying chicks for their children for Easter! It makes a bit more sense now. There probably aren't too many families out there with 6 or more children. Still, to me, it seems laws like this end up inhibiting people that actually take care of their chickens. My husband wanted to add some leghorns to our flock, but only wanted to buy two. They had them at TSC, but we just didn't want to buy six. Same with the ducks. I have been wanting to get some Indian Runners or Khaki Campbells to use for training my herding dogs. (I like to compete in ASCA trials and some of the classes/courses involve herding ducks). But I really didn't want to buy 6. Yet when I went to my local feed store I could buy chicks in any number that I wanted. The sign did say new State Law, but I remember TSC doing this last year. I guess it's good for breeders though, if this new legislation doesn't apply to them. Maybe it's just the chain stores? I did a search trying to find this piece of legislation and was unsuccessful.

I think it is a good law.
hide.gif

Haha! I have felt like hiding under a chair a few times today on this site too. It's alright you can come out, nobody's going to cast stones at you. Well, at least I won't. Not tonight anyway.
smile.png
That's funny right there. I understand the law, but it still pisses me off. Some idiot made it difficult for the rest of us that obeys the rules that would and do care for our animals. There is always one or two ppl that ruin it for the rest of us. :rant

It's the same old story. The minority ruins things for the majority. It's actually hurting TSC as well. They said they are having a lot of trouble selling their chicks and ducks this year. Or you will start seeing people buying six and keeping them even though if they live in town they are only allowed to have 3 or 4. Or buying 6 and selling the other 3 on craigslist. I can see how the law would improve things for breeders because people who are serious about buying chickens are going to do some research and buy their chicks elsewhere instead of impulse buying at a big box store. I just think people should be held accountable for their actions. But it seems like personal accountability and responsibility is considered an abstract idea these days. I'm sure there are more responsible chicken owners out there then the latter. Overall, the whole situation is a sad affair.

OK, I found where Jim Hall had posted this before. His post showed up on google before the actual statute did!

Ark. Stat. Ann. § 5-62-121 (2003)
§ 5-62-121. Transfer of certain chicks, ducklings, or rabbits
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell or offer for sale, barter, or give away living baby chicks, rabbits, or ducklings under two (2) months of age in any quantity less than six (6).

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, offer for sale, barter, give away, or display living baby chicks, rabbits, or ducklings which have been dyed, colored, or otherwise treated so as to impart to them an artificial color.

(c) This section shall not be construed to prohibit the sale or display of natural baby chicks, rabbits, or ducklings in proper brooder facilities by hatcheries or stores engaged in the business of selling them for commercial purposes.

(d) Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be deemed guilty of a Class C misdemeanor.

(e) Nothing in this section shall prohibit growers of living baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings, or other fowl from selling or making gifts thereof in quantities they deem appropriate.

OK, I found where Jim Hall had posted this before. His post showed up on google before the actual statute did!

Ark. Stat. Ann. § 5-62-121 (2003)
§ 5-62-121. Transfer of certain chicks, ducklings, or rabbits
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell or offer for sale, barter, or give away living baby chicks, rabbits, or ducklings under two (2) months of age in any quantity less than six (6).

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, offer for sale, barter, give away, or display living baby chicks, rabbits, or ducklings which have been dyed, colored, or otherwise treated so as to impart to them an artificial color.

(c) This section shall not be construed to prohibit the sale or display of natural baby chicks, rabbits, or ducklings in proper brooder facilities by hatcheries or stores engaged in the business of selling them for commercial purposes.

(d) Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be deemed guilty of a Class C misdemeanor.

(e) Nothing in this section shall prohibit growers of living baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings, or other fowl from selling or making gifts thereof in quantities they deem appropriate.
Thanks for finding and posting this information. I can't believe people dye chicks, bunnies and ducks. Yuck.

Back
Top Bottom