Arkansas folks speak up.........

well just tell him this...the chickens,goats,etc make the money back that you spend on all the other stuff. my sister kept whinning and complaining about our chickens...when I said that they are the ones that pay for her stuff-cats-she shut up...

I think that it does teach the kiddos a lot, teaches the old way of life. everyone makes it to complicated these days, I want a slow and easy-as stress free life as possible. being able to give back to my kid/family and community is the best reward of all. it makes my whole day when my daughter ask me (she is 9) can I go outside and feed the chickens instead of being inside watching tv. so of course i'm all for it...once she's out there feeding/watering the chickens she finds other things to do...she swings, jump rope, dig in the dirt...searches for worms. so I am all for her being able to have a 'normal' childhood.

it does teach them to be compassionate, teaches them about their community and to get out in the backyard to be a kid. so I say go for it-if your husband doesn't jump on the bandwagon then it will be a thing for you and your son to bond over, it will only make you and he closer. just think of all the wonderful memories you are making with him...he will treasure them when he gets older..teach his kids as you've taught him.

you are doing more good for him in the long run! happy chicken hunting!! I will probably be at beebe starting the last of april-hope to be a regular. I will have chicks by then plus bring lots of other things to sell. best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree completely. Hubs usually pouts for a bit, but gets over it eventually. My son and I really enjoy the animals. Last winter (when I was milking my goat) The boy caught the baby goat (Little Willie) nursing. He ran to me bawling, "Mamaaaa!!! Little Willie's drining MY milk!" LOL!
And eggs....he only wants to eat "tiny" eggs (from his Aunt Kat's bantams.) I have some Easter Eggers on the way. I think he will like those!
I am very big on eating what we raise/grow, or what Hubs hunts. Lower grocery bills and healthier food! And we enjoy it!
I am looking forward to making it down to Bebe! No telling what I will end coming home with!

I am dying to get to beebe..I hope to get there very soon. we have easter eggers and banties. everyone that buys my eggs just love the blue/green egg color and how tiny the banty eggs are. I get compliments on my eggs all the time, and they do pay for themselves once they start to lay. my daughter and I always have plenty of money from selling our eggs. if your son knows about green eggs and ham..he can have his own green eggs and ham for breakfast..

I just love our layers, we are just now getting into the specialty breeds. we just bought blue polish, crele polish and silkies..I just am on pins and needles for them to grow up so we can have their babies and eggs. I am on the look out for some of the other breeds we want...I am hopeful that I can find something in beebe. there is lots of poultry groups on fb that is in Arkansas, izard county and Arkansas poultry,livestock and farm supply that I belong to but there are so many more. I got my crele, blue polish from holy treat farms-she is in timbo and she has everything! very good prices...if she can she will meet you half way or so. she has very nice birds...I love mine. look her up and see if she can get you what you want.

never knew I would enjoy chickens as much as I do...I feel like i'm living the life as I was meant to.

Thank you soooo much for the leads! I haven't had chickens in a few years. Lost my last flock all in one night. Something (big) tore the door completely off my coop and got every one! I was heartbroken! Guess I gave up for a while.
Decided to start back with chickens when we signed up for 4H. I have Salmon Faverolles, Easter Eggers, Cochins, and White Sultans on the way. Got my incubator set up, and in the next few days I am going to talk Kat out of a few eggs (test run.) I really want some Blue Orphs!
Okay, in truth...I like them ALL! We are going to try to stay more "egg" focused for now though.

Quote:
You still have Golden Laced Polish? Any eggs for sale? How much for an 18count? And let me know when you are going to be at Beebe, so I can be there too. Just not on the 2ns Saturday of the month tough, Lonoke auction then.

You still have Golden Laced Polish?Any eggs for sale? How much for an 18count?And let me know when you are going to be at Beebe, so I can be there too. Just not on the 2ns Saturday of the month tough, Lonoke auction then.
I hope to be at beebe around the end of the month...I hope to go when I have more chicks. I only have 2 hens right now, so the eggs/chicks won't be pure, but that won't be for long. they are covered by a basque and bcm roos. it would take me awhile to get an 18 count but I can give you as many as I get in a week at a time. I usually get 2 everyday so 6 a week...

Quote:
Okay, I'm not interested in mixed right now. That is what I have mostly. Trying to get into purebreds. It will take me a while to build them up though. Let me know when you are going to be there (pm me) and maybe we can meet each other. I like meeting the folks I talk to on the forum.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not interested in mixed right now. That is what I have mostly. Trying to get into purebreds. It will take me a while to build them up though.Let me know when you are going to be there (pm me) and maybe we can meet each other. I like meeting the folks I talk to on the forum.

That's what I'm getting into too -pures. I am slowly getting there but I am excited. Try holly treat farms and I think the other guy that I'm getting some splash silkies from -his name is Matt Gordon I think...he has different routes and one of his stops is in searcy. He has lots of pures...good prices. Ill let you know...I would love to meet some ppl from here :D

Facebook is an awesome resource

I have pure silver laced Wyandotte eggs from beautiful birds I got from Foleys in Kentucky, I will have some chicks later, in 2 1/2 weeks...if anyone is interested. Great for 4-H.

Back
Top Bottom