Arkansas folks speak up.........

Thanks, all. We will be in the woods, so yes there will be predators, so it needs to be quite solid. I actually just thought about Home Depot, and looked at their sheds. That's an option. From the old coop, we will take our A-door (the door that opens and closes with the light). The rest of the shed is a little old and I am not sure if we could take it apart without it falling apart! I am online looking at everything...

Nope. Sounds interesting.

My Llamas are registered but not chickens.
wink.png

Last edited:
Has anyone here heard of the National Chicken Registry?
http://nationalchickenregistry.weebly.com/ this place?

It seems to be a private registry "As of January 2015 over 3400 flocks have been registered

Why a poultry registration program? This program helps protect the poultry

Industries from the spread of diseases such as avian influenza.

Who needs to register? All individuals involved in keeping or caring for all types of poultry and any

Number of birds, which would include: Small households, all forms of live poultry production, production.

Price is $5.00 Per Chicken or if you have more then 5 you want to Reg Please email us
thank you!!!!! "

http://nationalchickenregistry.weebly.com/ this place? 

It seems to be a private registry  "As of January 2015 over 3400 flocks have been registered

[COLOR=000000]Why a poultry registration program? This program helps protect the poultry[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Industries from the spread of diseases such as avian influenza.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Who needs to register? All individuals involved in keeping or caring for all types of poultry and any[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Number of birds, which would include: Small households, all forms of live poultry production, production.

Price is $5.00 Per Chicken or if you have more then 5 you want to Reg Please email us

thank you!!!!! "[/COLOR]

That's it I finally found it. I don't think it is a private registry though, since you can send them the money to register one imfir you.

I like the idea, great way to know many things about the chicks you purchase. I especially like the avian flu portion and the pedigree information for setting up a breeding program. We will probably be adding ours in the near future.

The reason I said it looked to be a private outfit is because there is the statement "we are a small farm" on the "about" page.

I think all the different registries were or are private, as in not part of a government agency. I meant that as a good thing not a bad thing.

Last edited:
I like the idea, great way to know many things about the chicks you purchase. I especially like the avian flu portion and the pedigree information for setting up a breeding program. We will probably be adding ours in the near future.

The reason I said it looked to be a private outfit is because there is the statement "we are a small farm" on the "about" page. 

I think all the different registries were or are private, as in not part of a government agency. I meant that as a good thing not a bad thing.

Okay I understand now.
Wonder how they'd react to the Naked Necks!

I don't think the registration is a good thing at all it is just another way for big government to keep track of what you are doing. It creats more government jobs and drains your monies. $5 per chicken are you nuts that is absolutely outrageous!!! Most breeders hatch a thousand or more chickens a year, how many of those must be registered. Homestead chickens for the most part are to suppplement food stuffs for the family, no real money is being made. This is just another intrusion into our lives and you guys welcome it, give me a break. This is not in any way an effort to make the life of the individual better. It is all about big Agribusiness.

hau, qball53, Wouldn't a registry have to be managed by the government in order for the government to get any information?

Since all registries I've ever found are managed by private sector folks, for the use of private sector folks, there is nothing that has to be reported to the government. Registries are also mostly designed for breeders of show animals. Think of it as if it were the American Kennel Club, they are the registry for Dog Breeds. They do not have to report anything to any governmental body. Registries are all about record keeping for blood lines, not about food production.

If you are in the commercial business of raising animals for processing, then you have some USDA and FDA papers to fill out but that is not a registry it is consumable food for sale and the paperwork is about contamination of human food.

If you are a homesteader, only providing food for your self or family, there is nothing that requires you to report anything to the government (USDA OR FDA). Registries traditionally are for keeping track of breeding of an animal, the health of said animal could be added in to that.

If you decided to become a Hatchery, then you have entered the government regulated arena and will be required to have some accountability to the government but not nearly as much as if you decided to become a Tyson Foods or Pilgrim Foods type of business. Any time you choose to become a seller of food stuffs such as eggs, meat, vegetables, there will be some government involvement at the local, state and or federal levels. If you don't choose to enter that arena, then you don't have to enter the accountability to the government frame work.

Last edited:
I don't think the registration is a good thing at all it is just another way for big government to keep track of what you are doing. It creats more government jobs and drains your monies. $5 per chicken are you nuts that is absolutely outrageous!!!  Most breeders hatch a thousand or more chickens a year, how many of those must be registered.  Homestead chickens for the most part are to suppplement food stuffs for the family, no real money is being made.  This is just another intrusion into our lives and you guys welcome it, give me a break.  This is not in any way an effort to make the life of the individual better.  It is all about big Agribusiness.

I don't think that is the purpose, to register every chick hatched. Only the best that you would want to keep would be registered.

I don't think that this is tied to any government agency or big Agra.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom