Artificial light

I have supplemented the light in the coop for my hens each year. We tend to choose breeds that are known to be layers through out the year. I do not supplement excessively, sticking to between 12 and 14 hours of light a day.
I am not certain what to think about what is "natural" or "best" for an animal that has been so manipulated by man. I don't think we even know what is "natural" for humans. I suppose it is wise to see how your particular hens respond and adjust accordingly.

I have supplemented the light in the coop for my hens each year. We tend to choose breeds that are known to be layers through out the year. I do not supplement excessively, sticking to between 12 and 14 hours of light a day.
I am not certain what to think about what is "natural" or "best" for an animal that has been so manipulated by man. I don't think we even know what is "natural" for humans. I suppose it is wise to see how your particular hens respond and adjust accordingly.
Chickens' relatives were from south-east Asia. They have been genetically manipulated through the years to produce nearly 1 egg/day. There is no other non-domesticated bird which does this. Most birds produce one or two clutches of a few eggs/year. It is a strain on the chicken's systems and they somehow manage wonderfully. I personally chose not to force them to lay all winter. It gives their bodies a rest.

My young leghorns laid every day except one last winter without extra light. I expect about the same this year. Probably less next year. Lucy has given me an egg everyday but 5 in the past 14 months.

Typing out someone else is flawed rolls right off the fingertips!:D
Not trying to point out anyone's flaws, I'm just a science geek. Anyway, my original response was flawed, I had to go back and fix it! My point is that in my opinion forcing hens to lay all year stresses their bodies. I think most people here will agree that cruelty to poultry like the huge companies that lock them in tiny cages and don't allow them to walk around is wrong. We don't all agree, however, that forcing them to lay all year wrong may also be cruel...

Artificial light also shortens a chicken’s life span.
I have heard of some cases where people used lights over the course of winter and the hen lived for only 2 yrs.
So if you want your chicken to lay eggs for longer, let them lay naturally. It is healthier for them and also from what I have heard, eggs that are laid naturally without artificial light, taste better.

Not trying to point out anyone's flaws, I'm just a science geek. Anyway, my original response was flawed, I had to go back and fix it! My point is that in my opinion forcing hens to lay all year stresses their bodies. I think most people here will agree that cruelty to poultry like the huge companies that lock them in tiny cages and don't allow them to walk around is wrong. We don't all agree, however, that forcing them to lay all year wrong may also be cruel...
That just gets my blood boiling. 😡

As a science geek you should know there's nothing natural about breeding and keeping chickens and we are talking about backyard chickens not battery hens. I don't force hens to lay eggs, I can't, but what's cruel is letting backyard chickens sit in the dark in locations like mine.

Lighting can be fine if managed properly.
They need a rest, they need to molt.
But I use lights in early winter after the molt is over.

First year I had them on fall and winter, the older birds I started with laid all winter but molted in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom