At what age can they have crack corn or scratch feed?

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
I got 7 poults and was wondering when can I give them corn or scratch feed as a treat. They are 7 weeks old tomorrow.

And another ? What would be a good grain to give as a treat to them and also chickens

Last edited:
Mine are around 10 weeks and love pecking at scratch on the ground. If they have access to a grit source of some sort, I don't see why not.

You did not say why your raising them. My answer might be different based on that. Over all corn is the most loved grain. Scatch is right up next to corn. It is like feeding them candy and about as nutritious. Each time you feed it you lower the total protein of the poults diet so if you have to give treats remember it is a treat, not part of there diet.

Sorry I'm raising them as pets. They are royal palms so they won't be good for eating. I wanna raise a few an sell the eggs and some poults I know they need the extra protein. I'm not gonna stop feeding them the game bird starter. I just wanna give them something extra. If I give them scratch to eat they won't stop eating the game bird starter will they?

Think of it as feeding a child. Would he eat all of his meal if given candy? If they fill up on candy they won't eat all of the balanced meal that is in the starter.

You turkeys will still love you if you do not give them scratch or corn.

Quote:
It is OK to give them a little for a treat. I give all my turkeys, guineas and chickens a handful every day and by the way, Royal Palms are great to eat, just not as big!

Quote:
It is OK to give them a little for a treat. I give all my turkeys, guineas and chickens a handful every day and by the way, Royal Palms are great to eat, just not as big!

Ok. I gave them a little yesterday and they dint know wht is was. Sometime me that they wasn't worth eating. But I might give it try. I love my chickens but seeing a baby turkey strut is great.

We feed our chickens scratch every day. They have that outside the house and Laying Crumbles in the house. It doesn't make them "fat and full of heat". And yes, even in summer they get the same thing. We also give them scraps from old cornbread or biscuits. So, as to answer your question, your chickens should be fine to have scratch.

We feed our chickens scratch every day. They have that outside the house and Laying Crumbles in the house. It doesn't make them "fat and full of heat". And yes, even in summer they get the same thing. We also give them scraps from old cornbread or biscuits. So, as to answer your question, your chickens should be fine to have scratch.
Sorry, I meant turkeys, not chickens. But the same for them too. LOL

Back
Top Bottom