At what point should my older hens care about chicks?

Age isn't really the decider.
I've learned that early(4-6 weeks) integration works much better than waiting until they are 'the same size', but you've got to set the coop up to facilitate it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603
I also integrate when they are younger...as in weeks not months old.

Lots of space to get away from the adults, several feed and water stations, and clutter to dart behind has worked well for me.
I feel like this will work better for me, so far my Polish don’t seem too interested in them but they have always been behind a fence. I’m going to keep it this way for a little longer and then let them together and supervise. Their coop (open air style so it’s also a run) is 5x8 and we built an additional run onto that which is 7x12. Is that enough space if we add some clutter and spots on the chicks can fit into? We mostly free range during the day so they aren’t too used to being cooped up. I will probably let the Polish still free range for half the day and the second half keep them in the run/coop with the chicks so they can put themselves to bed when they are ready. I plan to make a separate roosting area for the chicks for if they want it.

I feel like this will work better for me, so far my Polish don’t seem too interested in them but they have always been behind a fence. I’m going to keep it this way for a little longer and then let them together and supervise. Their coop (open air style so it’s also a run) is 5x8 and we built an additional run onto that which is 7x12. Is that enough space if we add some clutter and spots on the chicks can fit into? We mostly free range during the day so they aren’t too used to being cooped up. I will probably let the Polish still free range for half the day and the second half keep them in the run/coop with the chicks so they can put themselves to bed when they are ready. I plan to make a separate roosting area for the chicks for if they want it.

It should be enough space. The clutter will be needed just in case any adult gets a bit cranky.

I have used wooden saw horses with a piece of plywood screwed to each side to make a "tent". I stick a feed dish and water dish in there as well as on the outside so chicks can eat out of sight of the adults.

The key for my technique is that the chicks have tiny doors to get to their safe place that the older birds cannot fit thru.
Clutter in your run might help if you keep that in mind.

I have several wooden crates I can cut openings in that are big enough for the chicks but not the adults!! That way they can have their own little caves! Thanks for the ideas!! Luckily my Polish seem pretty chill so far when they free range and the chicks are in their run😅 I’ll keep doing short stints if then seeing each other for now until the chicks don’t need heat anymore!

Back
Top Bottom