atempted to candle.....

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
I have 6 banty turken eggs and 4 standard size eggs from my own, doday is day seven. I attempted to candle with a small led flash light which worked ok but I just don't know what I am seeing. Most of them I could see veins only one looked completly clear. There were a couple though that the shell was so dark it was hard too tell, they just had a dark areas in them which I am assuming are chicks. (
fl.gif
)

I thought I saw some movement but I am not sure it may have just been my eyes, am i suppose to see movement this early? Also if there is an egg with a bllod ring and I missed it, how soon could it explode?

Any other tips on candling would be wonderful, as I officially stink at it.

The clear one is not any good so you can toss it. It probably wasn't fertile. Dark shelled eggs can just sit and wait two more weeks. As for movement, you can see a bit of it at 7 days. I personally have never had an egg blow up on me even if I did leave it in the incubator for 23 days and found out after I opened the egg it was a gonner at about 4 days old. Good luck.

If it is a easy to see though egg, day 7 isn't too early. If the egg is hard to see though, like a brown egg, I'd keep it for 14 days to toss... I usually just let them go full term and toss anything that isn't out by day 23.

I would also think at 7 days that you would see veins at least. If you can see right through it there is probably nothing there. I acn definatley see movement at 7 days, very small movements but movement none the less. I have had some Aracaunas egs that I could never see through, but they were so dark and I could still see the air pocket forming as things went along. There is a great link....
http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Fresh/index.html
...it shows each day and what to expect. Although, there are lots of great websites for this stuff!

Back
Top Bottom