Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

HELP! The second chick just hatched only 2hrs after it pipped and it seems to have a red blobby thing in the shell and it's still attached to it by a thin thread so dragging the shell round.

What to do?

Edited to add the first chick was pecking at it where it joined to the chick so have put the new one and it's shell in a little container inside the incubator so it can't get pecked or drag the shell round as much. It seemed to be trying to escape it instead of resting from the hatch so hopefully it will stop now and get some rest.

Will it eventually fall off?

If you leave it it is similar to a umbilical cord when I save chicks it takes a while for it to dry then it will fall off will be all good

HELP! The second chick just hatched only 2hrs after it pipped and it seems to have a red blobby thing in the shell and it's still attached to it by a thin thread so dragging the shell round.

What to do?

Edited to add the first chick was pecking at it where it joined to the chick so have put the new one and it's shell in a little container inside the incubator so it can't get pecked or drag the shell round as much. It seemed to be trying to escape it instead of resting from the hatch so hopefully it will stop now and get some rest.

Will it eventually fall off?

Depends how much of the egg sack has been absorbed . Don't pull at it , once it has absorbed it will fall off and the chord will shrivel up and drop off. If you've got the brooder ready you might need to separate it from the others till it does.

Do you remember my little guy in the egg cup ? I kept him in there under heat for an entire day , till he had absorbed the remainder of the yolk.

Last edited:
I have been incubating eggs for more than 40 years, and I have never had one explode in the incubator.
If an egg smells or explodes it must have been a very old egg to begin with.

xxx M

Ashburnham --- Your reply is shown under my suggestion to RodneyRooster - about replacing

dummy eggs under a chicken. Nothing to do with incubators.

I know little to nothing about raising chicks, and especially nothing about incubators ( except that they can be temperatmental at times ).

It was a suggestion for only a sitting hen.

How old is a ' very old egg ' .... I am genuinely interested to know. Was under the impression that if a hen is sitting on eggs, she is doing so from those she's laid ( and / or stolen ), or that have been purchased and put under her, in preference to incubating.

Guess there could be a bad one in purchased eggs, or even a hens' developing chick that has died. I would imagine that it is gases that build up from the necrotic flesh of the dead chick, that would 'explode'.

I ask as I am anxious to learn - with a view to raising chicks one day myself.

I would be wary of anything smelly and therefore most probably toxic, exploding under the hen --- I would imagine it could possibly have nasty effects on the hen ?

Seems everything is ok at the moment for RodneyRooster, the hen and her eggs.

AB.

Last edited:
Depends how much of the egg sack has been absorbed . Don't pull at it , once it has absorbed it will fall off and the chord will shrivel up and drop off. If you've got the brooder ready you might need to separate it from the others till it does.

Do you remember my little guy in the egg cup ? I kept him in there under heat for an entire day , till he had absorbed the remainder of the yolk.

I don't have a brooder as they are going under penny once it gets dark. But he is sort of separated in a container though if either tries hard enough they can get together. There seems to be a red and yellow blob at the end of it about the size of my pinky fingernail. The thread does seem less wet looking now though.

I've tuned the lights off in that room which makes it very dark and it's settled them right down. No more constant peeping. It's looking a lot more alert than it was but still attached.

Is it because it went from pip to hatch so quickly? (2hrs)

I don't have a brooder as they are going under penny once it gets dark. But he is sort of separated in a container though if either tries hard enough they can get together. There seems to be a red and yellow blob at the end of it about the size of my pinky fingernail. The thread does seem less wet looking now though.

I've tuned the lights off in that room which makes it very dark and it's settled them right down. No more constant peeping. It's looking a lot more alert than it was but still attached.

Is it because it went from pip to hatch so quickly? (2hrs)

Could be, for what ever reason , it just needed a little more time.

Isnt not even quite a day old a bit young to be a bully? The first one is already picking on the second one, pecking a wing here, giving it a nip there. I hope it settles down!

The cord dried right out to almost nothing but was still attached and then it got itself out of the little seperate container but the egg was left behind so it was stuck so I just snipped the cord midway, Sounds like the last of it will just drop off shortly now and I figured it gave it a fighting chance with the little bully in with it!

Quick photos while I had the lid up, just before the snip. You can see its dried to a super thin but determined cord.

and the bully ;-)

Do I still have to maintain humidity till I put them under Penny tonight? Wasnt sure if it helped them not get deydrated till they are drinking as it would still be humid under a hen?

I also took the egg shells out as B1 was trying to peck at them.

Last edited:
Isnt not even quite a day old a bit young to be a bully? The first one is already picking on the second one, pecking a wing here, giving it a nip there. I hope it settles down! The cord dried right out to almost nothing but was still attached and then it got itself out of the little seperate container but the egg was left behind so it was stuck so I just snipped the cord midway, Sounds like the last of it will just drop off shortly now and I figured it gave it a fighting chance with the little bully in with it! Quick photos while I had the lid up, just before the snip. You can see its dried to a super thin but determined cord. and the bully ;-) Do I still have to maintain humidity till I put them under Penny tonight? Wasnt sure if it helped them not get deydrated till they are drinking as it would still be humid under a hen? I also took the egg shells out as B1 was trying to peck at them.
Good to hear your little one is unattached from cord. My only experience with incubation of eggs was 24 yrs ago in the classroom. After reading all the posts I'm surprised that all of them survived! I didn't have a clue just did what the hatchery suggested. With regards the bully I have found they can start quite young. We had one pecking and jumping on the others at two weeks old! Chickens always seem to sense and exploit weakness in each other. Our bully now has competition and things have evened out with a few face offs each day and then both turning away and ignoring each other. Maybe continue to protect your vulnerable one until it is stronger.

Well after the dramas of their first night in the coop (after catching them and putting them in), I went out this morning to find them all healthy and sprawled on th sawdust. Moved them to onto the lawn for a small green run. Will move them back into coop again tonight. They were panting from the heat so I gave them a light hose down, which hasn't endeared me to them again:/
Has anyone any advise on how to get the idea that the "coop is where they go at night" into their feather heads?

Well after the dramas of their first night in the coop (after catching them and putting them in), I went out this morning to find them all healthy and sprawled on th sawdust. Moved them to onto the lawn for a small green run. Will move them back into coop again tonight. They were panting from the heat so I gave them a light hose down, which hasn't endeared me to them again:/
Has anyone any advise on how to get the idea that the "coop is where they go at night" into their feather heads?

When our favorelles were little they would sleep at the back door rather than going in their coop. What taught them where to go was just getting one of those cheap solar lawn lights and putting it in the coop. They would go to the light then it would turn itself off as it ran out of charge. After a week or so (can't remember how long) they went in without me putting the light in there each afternoon (after spending the day in the sun charging) ready for dark.

Back
Top Bottom