Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Sorry to hear she rejected them again.
At least with only two to hand raise they won't produce as much poop as 10 do! After 8 weeks of Cleaning out their brooder daily, I am ready for a 'poop break' :p

I must admit I'm having flashbacks to our first three a few years back. Ugh. I'm hoping this hot spell means by 8 weeks they can go outside to our broody run as a day care centre lol. At least that's only half as much cleaning :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear she rejected them again.
At least with only two to hand raise they won't produce as much poop as 10 do! After 8 weeks of Cleaning out their brooder daily, I am ready for a 'poop break' :p

I must admit I'm having flashbacks to our first three a few years back. Ugh. I'm hoping this hot spell means by 8 weeks they can go outside to our broody run as a day care centre lol. At least that's only half as much cleaning :)

Amen to less cleaning!
Once ours get used to going into the coop at night, we will be letting them have the run of their yard which is about 40metres square or more.
Plenty of trees to shelter /hide under and soil to dust bath in. Chooky heaven :)

Well looks like we are hand rearing them. Popped the quietest of the two under and it was much quieter covered like that so didn't even peep. She wriggled a couple times then as it tried to move she would adjust and do those mummy bok bok noises. Sat there for ten minutes doing that then just as I thought it was going to be okay it must have popped it's head out and she just growled and attacked it. Pecked it a few good ones before I could grab it.

So it's back in it's fish tank and looks like it's back to plan b

Awww. Sorry to hear it didnt work out. So much more fun to hand raise tho! Especially with those less cleaning comments! Haha.

Have never had to throw anything out like that but im sure id be the same, start cracking them into cups for a while then get lazy haha

I've never had a rotten one in the kitchen but I've had bloody ones even from coles. I tend to break them into a cup first when cooking for about six months after one of those, then I start getting lazy.........until the next cake mix I have to chuck then the cycle begins again ;-)

In recent weeks appps .... I have had some really heavily laced ' blood eggs' from my girls - when they returned to laying after moulting. Warned the recipients of googy-gifts ... that the blood eggs are ok to eat - it is apparently fairly normal for new pullets or returning layers after moult. All have now returned to normal nice great colour yolks.

I have used the blood eggs with no repercussions whatsoever. But would probably not give a raw blood egg to my dog Miss Ruby. ( dogs are supposed to eat only raw eggs ).

The blood eggs are apparently perfecly safe to eat - cooked .... so would suggest you don't throw out the cake mix next time.

The reproductive cycle and mechanisms of a chook, is absolutely fascinating. .... why blood appears in the yolk of a new pullet or returning layer, I am not at all sure about - so will leave it all at that. Unless someone here can explain the procedure in the chooky innards.
wink.png

Cheers ---- AB

In recent weeks appps .... I have had some really heavily laced ' blood eggs' from my girls - when they returned to laying after moulting.    Warned the recipients of googy-gifts ... that the blood eggs are ok to eat - it is apparently fairly normal for new pullets or returning layers after moult.   All have now returned to normal nice great colour yolks.  

I have used the blood eggs with no repercussions whatsoever.   But would probably not give a raw blood egg to my dog Miss Ruby.   ( dogs are supposed to eat only raw eggs ).

The blood eggs are apparently perfecly safe to eat - cooked .... so would suggest you don't throw out the cake mix next time.  

The reproductive cycle and mechanisms of a chook, is absolutely fascinating.  ....  why blood appears in the yolk of a new pullet or returning layer, I am not at all sure about - so will leave it all at that.  Unless someone here can explain the procedure in the chooky innards.  ;)

Cheers ---- AB

Hmm there is a difference between safe to eat and appetising to eat lol. I soooooo could not eat one, I even pick out those little brown specks lol

I agree totally lol @appps

Just recandled my first lot :) so when i candled them thursday (my failed attempt with torches that didnt work!) I said there was 16. Obviously missed one! 17 haha! Same as my other. One was a quitter the rest are all fertile and growing! :-D yay! So looking at 30-31 growing chicks at this stage :-D

You should be able to get them outside way sooner than 8 weeks, not in the main coop maybe but you definitely won't have to keep them inside, my brooder raised babes have been outside since 5 weeks and in the coop for the past 2. They are roughly 9 weeks old.

I agree totally lol @appps

Just recandled my first lot :) so when i candled them thursday (my failed attempt with torches that didnt work!) I said there was 16. Obviously missed one! 17 haha! Same as my other. One was a quitter the rest are all fertile and growing! :-D yay! So looking at 30-31 growing chicks at this stage :-D
Well done on your candeling. Sounds like all is going well
1f60a.png

Also I've never bothered throwing out eggs with blood spots, I've survived, I probably wouldn't eat a visible blood spot in a fried egg, I'd just pick it out, but if it's mixed in something or just scrambled then I can't see it so don't care. It's not something that sticks in my mind after the initial recognition,

Back
Top Bottom