Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi everyone! I wrote my own post but someone told me to ask on this thread instead because apparently it's for all of the Australian questions
1f636.png
Can anyone actually confirm for me if Currawongs will attack/kill adult bantams or Not? I have one hanging around my house now
1f612.png
and I'm concerned because I know that they will eat eggs, small birds such as sparrows, budgies etc, but I just don't know how large the little birds get that they will hunt so I have absolutely no idea If my bantam chickens are large enough to be safe from it or if they will still be seen as food and I really need to find out? TIA

Hi everyone! I wrote my own post but someone told me to ask on this thread instead because apparently it's for all of the Australian questions
1f636.png
Can anyone actually confirm for me if Currawongs will attack/kill adult bantams or Not? I have one hanging around my house now
1f612.png
and I'm concerned because I know that they will eat eggs, small birds such as sparrows, budgies etc, but I just don't know how large the little birds get that they will hunt so I have absolutely no idea If my bantam chickens are large enough to be safe from it or if they will still be seen as food and I really need to find out? TIA

Hi mamabokbok, I cant answer your question not having any knowledge about Currawongs. There are more knowledgable members on this thread and I am sure someone will be able to help you. It may take a few days tho. How big is your flock? We have lots of native birds come into our chicken pen (unfortunately). This includes magpies, jaberoos, water birds, crows, black carnebarrys, and usually the chickens and them studiously ignore each other.

Too cute. Funny about the toenails ! Were these the ones badly wrapped that came in the post?

Eggs were intact but shaken well I had a lot of problems with detached air cells

1f636.png
1f612.png

Currawongs I've had dealings with are opportunistic and clever. Similar to crows. I'd have thought a bantam too big for a loner. But a flock of them is another matter.

1f636.png
1f612.png

I have no doubt they will hassle chicks and steal eggs, but I've never lost any silkies to them. My silkie Roos run the Ravens off.

1f636.png
1f612.png

I've never had many currawongs around, maybe the magpies keep them at bay. I wouldn't think they would worry a fully grown bantam but I'd watch them with anything smaller. That's just a guess though. Mind you I didn't think the little goshawk would hurt a fully grown one either till one killed one.

Last edited:
1f636.png
1f612.png

We have them here never had one bother any of my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom