Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey fancy, what does an 8-10 week old silkie go for? Thinking at that age you couldn't be sure it's not a rooster either though she is saying hens. Lady selling them for $50 each on our local Facebook buy and sell. Kinda thought yikes! Not show quality or anything but she is getting a fair response to the add.

At 8-10 weeks it would be an educated guess. If they aren't show quality I wouldn't pay anymore than $30 and they'd have to be pretty at that.

Hi Teila, just a slight "off the track" question but you mentioned you sailed up the west coast to Darwin. Hubby and I have been cruising the east coast and into S.E. Asia since 1984. Only moved off the boat (which we still have in Cairns) a few years ago. Been to Darwin many times - love it. Our cat is "Sokari". Perhaps you've read some of my articles or books. What's your boat's name? Could we have met at any stage? And do you know "Tigress Too" from Fremantle? They just arrived back in Oz after nearly 3 years away in S.E. Asia. As you know, the cruising fraternity is like a small family. The pic was taken in Indonesia - last stop before heading back to Darwin - 25 local villagers onboard!

Thank you satay and Fancy, I feel a little better about Dusty drinking the pond water.

Hey there Henriettasmum .. this would have been 20 years ago now with my Ex. We also had a catamaran but nowhere near as nice as yours; she was called Black Label but after we sold her, she caught fire on her mooring and burnt down to the waterline. We had her on hard stand at the Dinah Beach Yacht Club for a while. I confess to not remembering hearing of Sokari or Tigress Too. But, yep, while some of the adventure was on the scary side, our fellow yachties were wonderful company. I worked with a General Surgeon in Darwin, Jon, who you may have heard of .. he owns [owned] a racing yacht ‘Aussie Maid’ [she may have been renamed].

Bambrook Bantams presents our day in pictures ….. [apologies about being pic heavy but we had a great day which I wanted to share].

We helped in the garden …………

Then we had lunch ……..

Did someone mention lunch? ……………

Spent some time chilling on the deck with our Dad …………..

More time in the garden …………..

Hunted and caught lizards n’ bugs and chomped some lawn …………

Posed for some pics ……….

Afternoon Tea [mealworms] …….

Bed Time!

"I tired!"

I love your babies. They are all beautiful. I have several different breeds but must confess my absolute favourites are the pekins, some of which are similar to your buffs. The frizzle is absolutely gorgeous. Re: cruising - that would have been around 1996 for you and when we were still in Cairns after sailing up from Mooloolaba. Our first trip to Darwin was in 1999 so we obviously missed you, Tigress Too was cruising the east coast for several years before returning to WA in '99. We have known a cat named Black Label but doubt it was the same boat considering its fate.

Just another recollection - I generally do the write-up on the Darwin-Dili rally each year and, without checking my records, I seem to remember a yacht called "Aussie Maid" competing a few years ago, but I don't know it personally. There was a steel catamaran in S.E. Queensland in the 90's called "Australian Maid" but that's a totally different boat and would not have competed in races, I am sure. I only started my journalistic career back in about 1996 and I am now winding down a bit. At 72 I am having more fun with my feathered babies.

Just checked my files - the boat doing the rally was called "Australian Maid" so may not have been the same yacht. Pic attached.

Last edited:
I love your babies. They are all beautiful. I have several different breeds but must confess my absolute favourites are the pekins, some of which are similar to your buffs. The frizzle is absolutely gorgeous. Re: cruising - that would have been around 1996 for you and when we were still in Cairns after sailing up from Mooloolaba. Our first trip to Darwin was in 1999 so we obviously missed you, Tigress Too was cruising the east coast for several years before returning to WA in '99. We have known a cat named Black Label but doubt it was the same boat considering its fate.

Thank you .. we had a fun day!

Our Black Label was a white, 30ft timber catamaran which lived in Carnarvon for many years before we purchased her. She would have met her demise around 15 years ago I think.

We met a heap of people on our trip but I confess my memory of yacht names is not the best.

We were good friends and sailed with a chap called Michael F who we stayed in touch with for a while but then lost contact after he returned from a cruise to Bali. I do remember an ex SAS serviceman and his wife, lovely couple; I think their yacht had Thursday or Friday in it’s name, nice yacht! There was another nice couple on a ferro cement with their cat.

I wish my memory was better, but we probably have known some of the same people.

I am sure we will have known many of the same people. It's a small world out here on the water. Your coastline is not one that I have any inclination to traverse by boat. I have heard too many horror stories, so I applaud your adventurous spirit (and that of anyone cruising your coast) in doing so. I would head off-shore in preference any day. Not as much to hit out there. Have you seen the clip about the guy sailing around the world with his hen, Monique?

I am sure we will have known many of the same people. It's a small world out here on the water. Your coastline is not one that I have any inclination to traverse by boat. I have heard too many horror stories, so I applaud your adventurous spirit (and that of anyone cruising your coast) in doing so. I would head off-shore in preference any day. Not as much to hit out there. Have you seen the clip about the guy sailing around the world with his hen, Monique?

I am in Queensland now, so did not technically sail "my coastline" but the WA coastline.. I became very much a land lover after that couple of years living on a small yacht, full time, everything we owned on board and also my 10 year old son with us; I know why I have grey hairs! lol A run in with a cyclone, crocodiles and whales was enough for me to not feel inclined to go sailing again
wink.png

That is her! That is Jon's yacht. Well, I assume he still owns her ;) He was and probably still is a member of the Darwin Sailing Club.

No, I have not seen the clip .. I will have to check it out.

Try this. https://www.facebook.com/Voyage-dYvinec-Guirec-Soudée-264815366998831/
You can also pop into my FB site - Rosemary's Roost.
We started out in 1984 on a monohull called Scylla, sold her after a year and bought a larger mono called CB which we renamed Mai Tai, after doing her up. After selling her and our home, we built Sokari at Landsborough on the Sunshine Coast launching her in 1993. Have lived in Cairns since 1995 with a couple of trips to Indonesia, then on to Thailand. Loved offshore sailing but health problems now have us landlocked for the time being.

We lived on all our boats fulltime, with a couple of houses in between them but only for short periods as we soon missed the ocean so sold the homes. We lived on Sokari for around 20 years and she still sits on her mooring in Cairns.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom