Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi my name is Sharon and I got my first chicken 17 years ago and never looked back lol.
I live in the southwest of Victoria.

I have (for now) 1 rooster and 8 and a quarter chickens, the quarter being 1 chick lol
I don't have any pictures due to not having a working mobile phone, sorry.

I have 2 nesting at the moment.
Maggie is sitting on 2 eggs and RoadRunner is sitting on 10 eggs and Daisy has been disappearing, so I reckon she is getting ready to nest and when she nests it is usually around 10 to 15 eggs. The largest clutch she has had was 13 chicks.

I also have 4 cats Blossom (15yo), Willow (11yo), Salem & Grayman (both 10yo litter brothers) and a 3yo dog who is Irish Wolfhound, Boxer cross and gets beaten up by Blossom lol

I know my avatar shows 5 cats, the Tortoiseshell Bubbles passed away 2 months ago, she would of been 16yo this month.
Welcome. Sorry for the loss of your cat. Our cat turned 16 this week. While he is getting a little slower he is still doing ok which I am thankful for.

Not a lot to report from me. Had heaps of rain again, the grass is nice and green, I actually sent a message to I amsamsam yesterday asking if i had actually moved to Sydney as it has been so wet.:lau Fruit trees are loving it and so am I. Much less watering to do around here at the moment but far more mowing . My little marans are starting to grow a bit now too. Odd for me not to be incubating this time of year, Funny thing is the neighbours move on the high side of us 2 weeks ago and no more losses or weird noises from the girls at night. Hope it wasn't their hunting dogs that got in.

Last edited:
Hey guys long time no see! Hope everyone and their feathered friends are well!

Just popping in to share this that came up in my Facebook feed. Will be an interesting read re the rooster!

Some great info in the new Australasian Poultry magazine. An urban contributor has trained her Light Sussex rooster not to crow. That's right, and the process has been a success. What do you know about chooks and copy cat behavior?
Understanding how fowls learn makes managing vices like feather pecking or egg eating easier.
Also, power off, and there are eggs in the incubator?
Read what happens in the egg and how best to manage your machine.
Good reading for poultry lovers.
:frow

hey, aussies! I need some selling advice! I plan on breeding crossbred TNN chickens, not sure what they're crossed with (orange is buff orp) but I'm breeding them specifically to have completely naked necks, so the ones I'm selling will be completely naked or have 1 or 2 pin feathers. I'll be selling chicks from 1 week old sexed, not vaccinated (as I couldn't find anyone to vaccinate) but raised on medicated feed, parents have high protein diet and none of the chicks have problems or deformities, some chicks may be bantam.
-
raised in a sterile plastic brooder and cleaned on a weekly basis depending on the number of chicks... colors range from white, black, orange and chicks with mixtures of all of the above. how much should I sell these for? I know prices purebred range from like $40 - $50 or even more, so how much should I sell these chicks for? I'm thinking $25 for roosters and $30 for hens, is that too little or too much? keep in mind I'm not a backyard hobbyist I'm trying to make a business out of this. feel free to ask any questions, thanks!

hey, aussies! I need some selling advice! I plan on breeding crossbred TNN chickens, not sure what they're crossed with (orange is buff orp) but I'm breeding them specifically to have completely naked necks, so the ones I'm selling will be completely naked or have 1 or 2 pin feathers. I'll be selling chicks from 1 week old sexed, not vaccinated (as I couldn't find anyone to vaccinate) but raised on medicated feed, parents have high protein diet and none of the chicks have problems or deformities, some chicks may be bantam.
-
raised in a sterile plastic brooder and cleaned on a weekly basis depending on the number of chicks... colors range from white, black, orange and chicks with mixtures of all of the above. how much should I sell these for? I know prices purebred range from like $40 - $50 or even more, so how much should I sell these chicks for? I'm thinking $25 for roosters and $30 for hens, is that too little or too much? keep in mind I'm not a backyard hobbyist I'm trying to make a business out of this. feel free to ask any questions, thanks!
Honestly it all comes down to the area you live in. I am guessing that you pay to have them sexed as young chicks? Cross bred chickens out here at that age would not fetch more than $5 each and you have a hard time trying to giveaway roosters. I don't know a lot about naked necks and to whether they breed true or not. If they do I am guessing that that would make them a little more expensive. If there is a demand for them in your area than you are able to charge more. My only advice i guess is to advertise them for the price you think and see if they sell. If not you may need to adjust your pricing down.

Hi my name is Sharon and I got my first chicken 17 years ago and never looked back lol.
I live in the southwest of Victoria.

I have (for now) 1 rooster and 8 and a quarter chickens, the quarter being 1 chick lol
I don't have any pictures due to not having a working mobile phone, sorry.

I have 2 nesting at the moment.
Maggie is sitting on 2 eggs and RoadRunner is sitting on 10 eggs and Daisy has been disappearing, so I reckon she is getting ready to nest and when she nests it is usually around 10 to 15 eggs. The largest clutch she has had was 13 chicks.

I also have 4 cats Blossom (15yo), Willow (11yo), Salem & Grayman (both 10yo litter brothers) and a 3yo dog who is Irish Wolfhound, Boxer cross and gets beaten up by Blossom lol

I know my avatar shows 5 cats, the Tortoiseshell Bubbles passed away 2 months ago, she would of been 16yo this month.

Welcome "Happy Aussie" Sharon - nice to meet you.

You have a wonderful menagerie there - and all those little chicks to look forward to. Sorry to hear of the loss of your Bubbles ... you would miss her dearly, and so would your other cats - but she lived a good long life to almost 16.

Cheers ....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom