Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi Everyone

Just putting out the word, I am giving away my one beautiful pet Silkie, she's approx 9 - 10 months old. She loves her bath and feather drying. Unfortunately even though she is separated from the other chickens, and she has her own lovely coop all sectioned off, my laying Australorps keep getting into her pen to steal her food. The poor thing is stressed and it's not fair on her part so for her own good I am looking for a good home for her.
hit.gif

Can anyone help? I live in the Brisbane north side area.

Today is day 29 and nothing from the geese eggs, I will leave them a few more days to see yet. They looked good when i candled them the other day so am a bit bummed right now. I seem to be a great chicken hatcher but not so flash at other water fowl.

Hay everyone i was trying to find you all but your all in here haha AUSSIE!! who here lives in the Coffs Harbour region ?????? id love to try and get some more chooks but i only know 2 people down my way that are serious Chickeneirs, so is any one here local??

Well, I have an English father and a Victorian mother... So I guess I'm not really South Australian at all...

Anyway, I have some exciting news. Just to give some backstory, I started my own flock a couple of months ago (seperate from my father's... which means I had to build the enclosure and I have to pay for the food... but it also means that I get the egg money, and that I can choose which breeds to keep). I got some chicks, and some supposedly Point of Lay birds. Unsurprisngly, they weren't actually POL. I had resigned myself to not getting any eggs until spring, when I found two, several weeks ago.

Today, I found two Araucana eggs in the nesting box! I'd almost given up on them! One is a nice mint green and one is more turquoise. The picture quality isn't very good... they're much brighter than this.

I've taken them with some other eggs from our... uhm... egg-fridge (yes, we have an entire [non-functioning, outdoor] fridge dedicated entirely to eggs. We sell fortnightly at community markets so this is where they're kept in the mean time.). I've labelled the eggs, but just in case you can't read my writing or my photography skills are too apalling, they are, clockwise from top left; Araucana, Araucana, ISA Brown, Indian Runner, ISA Brown cross white Leghorn, white Leghorn, Ancona.

Well day 30 on the eggs and still nothing. Bugger. I also got an electric fence and set it up yesterday to only find the stupid dog managed to get under it some how this morning and was back in the yard. More tweeking to do on the fence now.

Hi Satay I was reading other posts and your friend may be in luck Aussie Lady is wanting to give a silkie hen away and I am wanting to give a rooster. I think hes a pure breed. not sure. maybe we could put our computers together and work something out. I am happy to do any travelling involved.

Hi Aussie Lady. I have a rooster that needs a new home and Satay has a friend that wants a hen and a rooster silkie. Perhaps we can get something to happen for all of us to benefit. I bought 3 silkies and 2 ended up being roosters and have been tryiung to give 1 or both away..

Hi 13 chooks. I did see the other silkie give way but north side brissy is a bit far for me to travel.Hubby works south side brissy so if it had been there would have been great. Laidley is not that far though. No luck on the goose eggs. Gave up on them this morning. Many had made it to weeks2/ 3 i would say but none hatched. Oh well.

Last edited:
Thanks 13 Chooks and Satay, I ended up putting her in Gumtree and within 10 minutes of placing the ad I had an answer. Within 1 hour I was inundated with emails. So Shatzy has now found a lovely home and will be the lady's pet. She will also be getting company of her own kind. Thanks a lot for thinking of me. It was soooooo sad to see her go, but I know she will be looked after and loved. I shed a few tears.

Cheers

Thanks 13 Chooks and Satay, I ended up putting her in Gumtree and within 10 minutes of placing the ad I had an answer.  Within 1 hour I was inundated with emails.  So Shatzy has now found a lovely home and will be the lady's pet.  She will also be getting company of her own kind.  Thanks a lot for thinking of me.  It was soooooo sad to see her go, but I know she will be looked after and loved.  I shed a few tears.

Cheers

So glad your girl got a nice new home.

Back
Top Bottom