Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Please if you decide to wash the eye, just irrigate it with saline. Water has way too many contaminants. I use a syringe without needle draw up and squirt from the beak out.
The saline at chemists used for cleaning contacts is fine.

Didn't think of saline solution Fancy, but you are right.

I would never use warmed water out of the tap - especially from the hot tap - contains the residue from the copper piping, and all the other nasties in tap water - which is why I use heavily boiled water ( although I doubt that gets rid of it all - but it helps and certainly rids the water of chemical smells ).

A good saline solution is the right way to go.

Cheers ........

Yes, the scissor-type, I'd imagine. I only have pet clippers, I don't have any human ones LOL

I have a nailfile machine for my dog. It's like a Dremel, with a little spinning head thing with emery paper on it. I expect you could also use something like that, in theory - good luck getting it anywhere near them LOL

The dog nail clippers I was referring to, have a slide up device when pressure is applied to the handles. ... and depending on how far up the nail / beak / claw one goes, you can snip tiny bits off, or larger bits off. Care must be taken not to get into the 'quick' on animal claws in particular, which would result in a lot of bleeding. Chicken beaks obviously are somewhat different and more brittle. ( more than I thought they would be ).

This is what I was referring to :

Cheers ......

The dog nail clippers I was referring to, have a slide up device
Yes, they're the guillotine ones. I've got both sorts. I'd be worried using those on a beak, because of the curves in it. Mind you, I've never really examined the chooks' beaks. My isa browns have "deformed" beaks, they are each a bit "wonky". Doesn't stop them doing anything though.

Fancy I thought big girls feed would be too high in whatever big girls need and that the little ones needs are different. Just thought don’t know for sure. It would be handy I have 3 different feeds at the moment. Starter, grower and layer. Loved the photo of horse and carriage.
Clucky Chooks When I put eggs under my clucky ISA she kept rolling the eggs the others were laying under her too. So I ended up marking the fertile ones so I knew which ones were new.
I didn’t know at the time to put her in a separate area. I put eggs under her because I got tired of trying to stop her from be clucky. I wished I had joined this site back then it would have saved me a lot of trouble. I put food and water within reach because the weather was hot and I didn’t want to her dehydrate.
Good luck with breaking the clucky hens.
Anniebee Mandy is gorgeous and the puppy Sonja is so cute. How do you tell Sonja off with the beautiful eyes looking at you? I’d just melt.
Great idea on the big rocks thanks Fancy . Ours only have bricks. It got me thinking the ISA’s had slabs to walk on before I moved them, now they only have sand. I’m assuming that is why I never had to clip claws. I’m wondering if I need to put some slabs in the run for them or if digging in sand is enough to keep their claws short.

I hope everyone has a great Mothers day. No fencing, no sick chooks, no clucky chooks and no unwanted visitors (foxes, crows).
Just a nice cuppa with the girls with our feet up.
lau.gif

Tried that tonight, she is just too quick lol and then she jumped up on the highest roost and my arms just are not that long.... I will persist though, and hopefully I will have a win.  Half the battle is actually getting hold of her lol!

Can you take the high roost out for a night?

Wait until she's asleep and don't take in a bright light to wake her up. She won't know you are there, they are easy prey.

Last edited:
Hi guys!!! It's been forever. Over 4000 posts since last time I was here :/ read some about broody doves then skipped to the last page lol

I haven't been coping with single mumming so well hence the extended absence. It's been drama after drama, one of which has been the neighbours making constant complaints to animal control about my dog and finally my chooks. All unfounded, one complaint was that my dog attacked someone walking past when she was out, she like most dogs is aggressive through the fence, barking and running when the mail man comes or kids ride past (only when I'm not in view funnily enough, she won't bark if she can see me) but without the fence between this dog is the most passive submissive dog in existence, she flops on her back when I try to put her lead on! Needless to say I'm not too happy when I have to listen to their little yappers going all day at nothing.

then the last straw I had 2 animal control officers come saying there had been a complaint about the location of the coop. Some back story, after the most of the chicks had gone to new homes and the duccles I was raising had gone back to their owner I discovered I had a lice infestation so moved the girls into the front yard where I'd kept the duccles so I could completely empty the tank stand coop and treat the birds. I was lazy so they stayed in the front yard for ages (at least 6 months) finally I moved them back to the tank stand, one week later the complaint came, definitely no time for any smell and so close to my house I would smell it in an instant if there was. as I said this was the last straw, my depression had been looking for a crack and it hit me like a brick wall, my mum decided to take my kids to live with her for a while and we basically purged my house to try get on top of the clutter that was taking over. After a lot of umming and ahhing it was decided that the majority of my chooks would go to the farm to make it a bit easier on me, I decided to just keep the bantams the 2 pekins and 1 duccle, can't even believe how hard it was to see them go :( it's so quiet now in the mornings.
So that's me! kids still living with my mum but I see them every day/night, maybe another month and they can come home. planning a few minor renovations while they are gone, decided to sell the house as part of the divorce so using my alone time to focus on that.
Also planning a new coop that I can easily pull apart and put back together as I will probably be renting for a while, and we all know how quickly a flock can expand (especially when you have perpetually broody pekins) that's what brought me back here as all roads lead to byc :)

@Fancychooklady thought of your daughter the other day when I saw a young girl died in a jumping accident, hope that it wasn't someone you know!

:hugs I hope things improve for you soon. :hugs

Look what went past our front gate today. Such a lovely sight. :)
Beautiful
Again interesting MyHaven .... Since Mindy Ara is by far the best, most prolific layer - it is of no surprise that she has gone clucky on a few occasions. The other two ??????? .... Molly RIR has never had a broody cycle - yet is a prolific layer ( at various times and in recent years, excellent !! ). She is currently 'off the boil ' and is dropping red feathers so - moult for her I would think. Mandy Welsummer - ?? She too has never had a broody patch, but heaven forbid, I sense she might be about to have her very first clucky session - which is about ALL I need, with a puppy here, who needs constant toilet, and potential-wreckage-diversion, attention. :barnie Mandy has laid a few eggs recently, and is re-distributing the nesting area, constantly in there checking things out, making some very odd noises apart from her usual growling, is still eating like a horse, but ..... !!! I can only hope I am wrong. She is however, such a very big girl, I wonder if the 'norm' would apply to her. She does a lot of resting in the box or on the ground - has done for months. Other than that she appears normal and healthy ........ for her. !! As mentioned before, I think she is so heavy, her legs get tired and she rests. ( hoping like heck ). She stands approx 22 inches high ( head height ) .... here is a pic of her : and while I am at it - here are photos of our little assistance dog loan for 12 months - Sonya at 8 weeks of age .... ( oh what a terror she can be ) : Cheers ..........
I've had some chickens that aren't commercial layers never go clucky. It all depends on the individual. I found welsummers when I had some to be Good doers. Mandy looks lovely. And yes that pup is going to keep you busy.

Last edited:
I shut up the coop after finding Flossie in there again. She seemed to join in with the others, although I saw her trying to get in there later on.  She was standing there making "clucky" noises.  It's funny when you find out that things you've only heard about are literal.  She was standing there, clucking. 

Yep, as you have found, that sound is why it's called "clucky".

It's also where the term "getting clucky" comes from when talking about women wishing for babies particularly when being around babies.

The dog nail clippers I was referring to, have a slide up device when pressure is applied to the handles. ... and depending on how far up the nail / beak / claw one goes, you can snip tiny bits off, or larger bits off. Care must be taken not to get into the 'quick' on animal claws in particular, which would result in a lot of bleeding. Chicken beaks obviously are somewhat different and more brittle. ( more than I thought they would be ). This is what I was referring to : Cheers ......
That type work as well. I find them easier to manage. But pleas remember - a little at a time.

Fancy I thought big girls feed would be too high in whatever big girls need and that the  little ones needs are different. Just thought don’t know for sure.  It would be handy I have 3 different feeds at the moment.  Starter, grower and layer.   Loved the photo of horse and carriage.
Clucky Chooks   When I put eggs under my clucky ISA she kept rolling the eggs the others were laying under her too. So I ended up marking the fertile ones so I knew which ones were new.
I didn’t know at the time to put her in a  separate area. I put eggs under her because I got tired of trying to stop her from be clucky. I wished I had joined this site back then it would have saved me a lot of trouble. I put food and water within reach because the weather was hot and I didn’t want to her dehydrate.
Good luck with breaking the clucky hens.
Anniebee Mandy is gorgeous and the puppy Sonja is so cute.   How do you tell Sonja off with the beautiful eyes looking at you? I’d just melt.
Great idea on the big rocks thanks Fancy . Ours only have bricks.  It got me thinking the ISA’s had slabs to walk on before I moved them, now they only have sand. I’m assuming that is why I never had to clip claws. I’m wondering if I need to put some slabs in the run for them or if digging in sand is enough to keep their claws short.

I hope everyone has a great Mothers day.  No fencing, no sick chooks, no clucky chooks and no unwanted visitors (foxes, crows).
Just a nice cuppa with  the girls with our feet up.  :lau

Yep, depends on the calcium level but I was responding to SJturner's saying that he/she couldn't afford to get any starter ATM. Just assuming that the chicks are eating normal pellets, the grinding them down would make them easier for them to eat. :) If there's one thing you learn on a farm, it's that diversity is sometimes the only practical approach .

Back
Top Bottom