Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

sarge saturday.jpg Pic one is when we brought him home thursday night. Pic 2 is Saturday afternoon.

Merry Christmas to you too.
I have some new updates to share. Miss maran hatched 6 new babies on saturday.
We also adopted a new rescue puppy named sarge.
He's a French mastiff cross.. He's 7 months old and was going to be put down. He is terrified of strangers. I 've never seen a poor puppy so scared as when we picked him up on Thursday night. He is making great progresss with hubby and i but is still really scared when strangers some to visit but i have full confidence that given time he'll do just fine. View attachment 1611971
Oh how wonderful ... he is very cute.... lucky puppy!

Hi fellow Aussies

Merry Christmas to all of you :) I hope Santa has brought lots of treats for your chickens. Mine got cold lettuce leaf and were thrilled.

Today is my first day as a member on BYC but I've been reading it for a while.

Did you see the long-term forecast from the BOM? Quite a few heat waves coming up Jan-March. Mind you, the long-term forecasts are not very reliable, so perhaps it won't eventuate :)

All the best to you and yours.

Merry Christmas everyone!
I have just been posted from Wagga to Nelson Bay.
My girls travelled so well in the car (which was an 8 hr trip) and have made themselves very much at home in our new yard.
for now they are sleeping in a puppy playpen until I construct their new coop. They know where to come when the sun goes down and cant wait to get our into the yard when I let them out in the morning.
However since we arrived 1.5 weeks ago, they have stopped laying.
Here are some idea that I have had for this;
- they cannot roost at night just yet as they are sleeping in a puppy playpen
- new environment
- they went a few days without layer mix as I had to find a stock feeds place here
- I have had to make them a temp nesting box which they just pulled all the bedding out of and just wont go in there... so they really don't have one right now
IMG_5290.jpg

Any other advise would be appreciated:)

The only thing I can think of that they're hiding their eggs out in the yard somewhere. If they've re-established sleeping quarters and foraging, surely they've also re-established laying? I hope somsomeone can come through with better advice than I have. Good luck with your chookies!
Thank you MaryJanet! Im wondering if its mainly because at the moment they cant roost? Time will tell. Also if they are hiding their eggs in the garden then I'd say my puppies are finding them and eating them before I do. However Ive seen no evidence of empty shells anywhere...

This is the first time I've seen a suggestion that roosting has an impact on laying, but I'm not an expert. How are your plans for a coop coming along? Will they have a roost soon?

Yes I am planning on building their coop with branch roosts this weekend. Although they are my pets first and foremost Im worried that this may not be good for them. I will keep you updated :)

Back
Top Bottom