Australians - Where are you all????

G'Day Sandstorm495, nice to meet you
frow.gif

Quote: Thanks all. Your coop looks great Teila.

Hi My Haven,
I can't wait to see what my mums will be like when their chicks hatch next week. I reckon I will spend the whole day with a chair outside watching their behaviour!

Teila,
I forgot to thank you for showing pics of your coops and run. Did you buy them from Bunnings? My partner keeps saying he is going to build a "nursery" coop where chicks and mums can free-range in safety in the garden, but he's had no time.

Hi My Haven,
I can't wait to see what my mums will be like when their chicks hatch next week. I reckon I will spend the whole day with a chair outside watching their behaviour!

Teila,
I forgot to thank you for showing pics of your coops and run. Did you buy them from Bunnings? My partner keeps saying he is going to build a "nursery" coop where chicks and mums can free-range in safety in the garden, but he's had no time.
Yep, yep Happy Flock .... I love Bunnings! lol
We moved to Brisbane from Bundaberg 3 (or is it 4? Time flies) years ago and the joke at work is that I still only know how to get to 4 places, Work, Woolworths, Northside Produce and Bunnings. I like being at home, I only need those 4!
big_smile.png

Chick update: Seven weeks and my Australorp decided motherhood isn't all it's cracked up to be. The chicks seemed glad I separated them yesterday. She was pecking them when they went near her so I took her out of the pen. She never looked back. And talk about hormonal - I called her Fraidy because she was always scared. She's cranky. She had one of the Barnies pinned on her back like a dog. She layed an egg this morning. Now I'll see if she goes clucky after 12 eggs again.

The Silkie is still a doting mum. But her chicks escape every chance they get when I'm attending to them.

Cheers
You sure have fun with your chickens and their variety of habits. I keep on 'considering' to get more chickens, but don't think I could cope at this time ... maybe next year ? Don't like the idea of your "Fraidy" getting the Barnevelder down .... Barnies have enough problems as it is ( from what I have read ) ..... Guess Fraidy hasn't tried anything so aggressive since ? If I ever had another Silkie, would keep her indoors in a pen in a room and allow her out every day that is warm and kind for chickens to free range. Never again would a Silkie be allowed to go through what my dear little Moppitt had happen - because of an overnight storm which leached into the coop, and saturated her - all too late I found her like that. Not sure I will ever quite get over that.

Cheers ..... AB

Last edited:
Hi My Haven,
I can't wait to see what my mums will be like when their chicks hatch next week. I reckon I will spend the whole day with a chair outside watching their behaviour!

Teila,

Hi, maybe the next day. They don't do much when they first come out. If you can get close enough without upsetting mum it's lovely. The suspense is just killing you isn't it.:)

Where abouts in this great country did you say you were from? And who is the lovely lady in your avatar?

Cheers

Where abouts in this great country did you say you were from? And who is the lovely lady in your avatar?

Cheers
MyHaven,
I live in the Dandenong Ranges, 1hr and a half east of Melbourne, in Victoria. The lovely hen in my avatar is my Buff Orpington Rosie. She is 2 years old now and the most adorable sweetie. Her sisters are Milly (who is broody with 8 eggs) and Lucy. Below is a photo of them scratching at my nana's garden a few months ago (they were babysat when I was on holidays):

MyHaven,
I live in the Dandenong Ranges, 1hr and a half east of Melbourne, in Victoria. The lovely hen in my avatar is my Buff Orpington Rosie. She is 2 years old now and the most adorable sweetie. Her sisters are Milly (who is broody with 8 eggs) and Lucy. Below is a photo of them scratching at my nana's garden a few months ago (they were babysat when I was on holidays):

Your girls are just beautiful Happy Flock. I also live in the Dandenong Ranges, in Upwey.

And I also have just three hens - Molly RIR, Mandy Welsummer and Mindy Araucana.

Cheers, ...... AB

Back
Top Bottom