Automatic door didn't open, hours away. Water concerns

Went to visit relatives yesterday to stay 2 nights. Chickens made it into the coop as always last night according to our chicken cam at 7:30pm. But this morning it didn't open for some reason. Not planning on being home until tomorrow afternoon. High today is 75°, humidity 57 and their 6'x5' coop that's 5' tall is located under the forest canopy. Lows in the low 50's and upper 40's today/tomorrow. Seeing family I haven't seen in years today and wanted to make sure they were going to be ok until tomorrow when we get home. First time the door hasn't worked, but suspect the rechargeable batteries might of ran down at the worst day. Looking at my cam in the coop and all seems fine. They're digging in the deep litter for excess scratch we've thrown in the past and the occasional bug. Peace of mind would be great for my wife, as I am pretty confident a day and a half or so is well within their range of fasting, so to speak.

Last edited:
I think that they will be okay. Stress level should be somewhat minimal given the moderate temperatures, but may result in a break in their laying cycle.

The 'seven rooster' part is a bit concerning. Hopefully in the coop there are areas where the pullets can get away from them. Eventually you should do something with at least 6 of them.

Back
Top Bottom