Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
I think the closest case reported near us was the small mixed backyard flock of 42, which happened less than an hour drive away from here so definitely WAAAAAY too close for comfort 😥

My chickens have been letting me know on a daily basis just how much they hate being locked up. They pace back and forth nonstop like crazy and then crowd around the doorway anytime they see me. My matriarch hen BG is so spoiled rotten she has even created her own distress call specifically to attract our attention so that she can try to escape whenever we open the door. That doesn’t help much either 🤣

On the bright side…at least the grass seed that I put down earlier this month is finally starting to grow 😉
That's one fantastic way to make something positive come from this. Great idea! Your birds will appreciate the challenge, oops, I mean greens 😁 once they're able to free range again.

Last edited:
This bottom part of aphis.usda.gov’s site says this: “Avian influenza is caused by influenza Type A virus (influenza A). Avian-origin influenza viruses are broadly categorized based on a combination of two groups of proteins on the surface of the influenza A virus: hemagglutinin or “H” proteins, of which there are 16 (H1-H16), and neuraminidase or “N” proteins, of which there are 9 (N1-N9). Many different combinations of “H” and “N” proteins are possible. Each combination is considered a different subtype, and related viruses within a subtype may be referred to as a lineage. Avian influenza viruses are classified as either “low pathogenic” or “highly pathogenic” based on their genetic features and the severity of the disease they cause in poultry. Most viruses are of low pathogenicity, meaning that they causes no signs or only minor clinical signs of infection in poultry” …Does that mean that they only kill high pathogenic or both high and low upon trace in testing?

Saw there are several new rows in the commercial/backyard list since I looked a day or two ago. One more in NY (long island again) and some others in SD. The new NY one is a bit different:

New YorkSuffolk3/23/2022Commercial Upland Game Producer4,000

What is an "upland game producer"? I guess I would understand just "game producer" a bit better but I don't understand what "upland" means with that.

Saw there are several new rows in the commercial/backyard list since I looked a day or two ago. One more in NY (long island again) and some others in SD. The new NY one is a bit different:

What is an "upland game producer"? I guess I would understand just "game producer" a bit better but I don't understand what "upland" means with that.
Yeah, I guess it’s pretty much the same thing as commercial gamebird producer. It refers to turkeys, pheasants, grouse and quail.

In some areas when buying a hunting license you need different license or stamps for waterfowl (ducks geese ect) and upland game birds that don't live in the water (pheasants turkey etc)

Back
Top Bottom